ssl broken

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

machine321

ssl broken

Postby machine321 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

I use Firefox with the EFF's "<redacted> Everywhere" add-on. When viewing what-if number twenty-seven over ssl, I initially got an SSL error (the cert was (something) voxel) but that appears to be fixed now. Currently, I get:
Not Found

The requested URL /27/ was not found on this server.
VoxCAST Server at what-if xkcd Port 443

Non-SSL pages work fine. Please review the configuration and/or yell at Voxel/Internap. Thanks!

johnkeates

Re: ssl broken

Postby johnkeates » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

I have the same problem, using Chrome and hxxps. The problem in the Inspector's Console is:

Code: Select all

[blocked] The page at [THE XKCD SSL WEBSITE HERE]/162/ ran insecure content from [THE XKCD NON-SSL IMG SUBDOMAIN HERE]/static/styles_short_beta.css.
 xkcd.tld:6

The page at [THE XKCD SSL WEBSITE HERE]/162/ displayed insecure content from [THE XKCD NON-SSL IMG SUBDOMAIN HERE]/static/terrible_small_logo.png.
 xkcd.tld:41

The page at [THE XKCD SSL WEBSITE HERE]/162/ displayed insecure content from [THE XKCD NON-SSL IMG SUBDOMAIN HERE]/comics/angular_momentum.jpg.
 xkcd.tld:62

The page at [THE XKCD SSL WEBSITE HERE]/162/ displayed insecure content from [THE XKCD NON-SSL IMG SUBDOMAIN HERE]/s/a899e84.jpg.
 xkcd.tld:85

Failed to load resource [THE XKCD SSL WEBSITE HERE]/store_news/xkcd_store_rip_43.png

It seems to be a problem with the static references to hxxp in stead of hxxps when using SSL that breaks loading those resources.
As a result, I only get unformatted pages. Everything is still working, but It's quite ugly.

The fix seems to be simple:

a) make the URLs relative
- or -
b) hardcode them to be hxxps instead of hxxp

Chrome won't allow loading 'insecure' content by default, not sure if it's the load hxxp from a hxxps page, or if it's a crossdomain thing (but it's only a subdomain..), but it broken either way.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Chatter regarding anti-spam measures moved over here.

maxvgc

Postby maxvgc » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

ssl is still broken. The issue is that the images' src attribute has the protocol hard coded as non-ssl. But the image server, on the imgs subdomain is perfectly capable of serving ssl content.

So all that needs to be done is specify the img src attributes as protocol-independent. e.g. src="//imgs.xkcd.[etc.]"

Can someone please take a look at this?

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

Don't respond to spambots, report spambots.

- Az

directrix13

Postby directrix13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

This is not spam! This is an error with your site when working with a Firefox extension, made by the EFF, that automatically connects you to the SSL port instead of regular port 80. The problem still persists. I cannot view any of your comics. Please correct this.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

That was in reference to a now-deleted spampost to which sonicspin had responded.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kieranc

Postby kieranc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

This is still broken, and has been for over a year now.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

directrix13 wrote:This is not spam! This is an error with your site when working with a Firefox extension, made by the EFF, that automatically connects you to the SSL port instead of regular port 80. The problem still persists. I cannot view any of your comics. Please correct this.

This is an issue with that plugin. The very concept of what it does is invalid.

kieranc

Postby kieranc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

davean wrote:
directrix13 wrote:This is not spam! This is an error with your site when working with a Firefox extension, made by the EFF, that automatically connects you to the SSL port instead of regular port 80. The problem still persists. I cannot view any of your comics. Please correct this.

I'm afraid not. The plugin automatically redirects you to the secure version of a site, when one is available. This site is available using a secure connection, but it's broken. It should either be fixed or disabled.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

kieranc wrote:
davean wrote:

I'm afraid not. The plugin automatically redirects you to the secure version of a site, when one is available. This site is available using a secure connection, but it's broken. It should either be fixed or disabled.

Nope, it doesn't actually do that. As you just found out. It has a metric for if said is available, but that metric is unsound. Yes, said IP listens on a given port. That has nothing to do with if said site is available over HTTPS.

beojan

Postby beojan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 am UTC

davean wrote:
kieranc wrote:
davean wrote:

Nope, it doesn't actually do that. As you just found out. It has a metric for if said is available, but that metric is unsound. Yes, said IP listens on a given port. That has nothing to do with if said site is available over HTTPS.

Is that what HTTPS Everywhere does? I thought it just had a list of sites that were available over HTTPS, and redirected just those sites (hence why, for example, it can redirect google.com to encrypted.google.com).

kieranc

Postby kieranc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

It's kinda complicated, as I'm finding out. But yeah, big list of rules. Rules for voxcdn. com are disabled by default, presumably for this reason... But rules for xkcd. com are enabled, despite it using voxcdn, whose servers are available via h t t p s but xkcd content hosted on them is not....
I'm going to try report the rule as broken and get it disabled but I will concede that it's not really the fault of this site. I'm fairly impressed however that this is the first time the plugin has ever caused me a problem, and it is arguably doing good things.... Generally.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

And with that bit of humble pie, I think we're done here.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”