contact

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhanson40

contact

Postby rhanson40 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

I am attempting to contact Randall or his manager about permission to reproduce comic http://xkcd.com/723/ in a mass communication textbook. We need a permission fairly soon if we're going to be able to include the cartoon. It's going with a discussion of the earthquake phenomenon he's discussing in the cartoon. Thank you so much.

Ralph

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: contact

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

press@xkcd.com should be your first avenue, but I'm guessing you already tried.

rhanson40

Postby rhanson40 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Yes, that is where my photo editor went.

Ralph

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Note: You are welcome to reprint occasional comics pretty much anywhere (presentations, papers, blogs with ads, etc). If you're not outright merchandizing, you're probably fine. Just be sure to attribute the comic to xkcd.com.
From http://xkcd.com/about/

You aren't outright merchandizing if it's a tiny example in a textbook that you could easily do without. So, make sure you attribute the comic.

If it's a not-for-profit publication, you need no permission -- just print them with attribution to xkcd.com. If it's a for-profit operation, I will probably give you permission if you email me to let me know. You can post xkcd in your blog (whether ad-supported or not) with no need to get my permission.

(The e-mail me is the press@xkcd.com address)

I assume it is part of a for-profit thing, so the safest thing to do would be to wait for the e-mail.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

rhanson40

Postby rhanson40 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

Thanks. We're just coming up against deadlines and haven't heard back. Hope we'll hear in time to be able include the comic.

Ralph

Return to “Site/Forum issues”