Could we have a quote-split ([/quote][quote]) button?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Could we have a quote-split ([/quote][quote]) button?

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

Could we have a quote-split button that inserts [/quote][quote]? It would be very useful when replying to long posts once or more "in the middle". I have seen it in other phpBB forums, so I think it's not much effort to add.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Could we have a quote-split ([/quote][quote]) button?

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Could we have a quote-split button that inserts [/ quote][ quote]? It would be very useful when replying to long posts once or more "in the middle". I have seen it in other phpBB forums, so I think it's not much effort to add.

I think that would encourage people to respond more to parts of what was said, and less to the overall thesis that is being expressed. Given that we want less quote sniping and more intelligent debate, I think that would be a bad thing.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:07 am UTC

I am not a mod of N&A or SB. Part of the reasons I do not care for those forums are basically what JR said - the over abundance of replying to sections or individual sentences rather than the entire thought.

Hell, given a few minutes I could probably find several instances of out-of-context quotes being argued about for several replies, if not a page or two.

This coming from someone who knows he's guilty of that behavior too... Another reason I don't go there anymore.

So like JR said - tools to make that easier would likely end with me banning people from High Culture for using it frequently. And I hate working banning people..
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am UTC

I am not a mod of N&A or SB. Part of the reasons I do not care for those forums are basically what JR said - the over abundance of replying to sections or individual sentences rather than the entire thought.

Is this a massive problem?
Hell, given a few minutes I could probably find several instances of out-of-context quotes being argued about for several replies, if not a page or two.

I agree that arguments over misquotes are something we need to reduce, but if people want to quote-snipe they'll make the effort to do it anyway.
This coming from someone who knows he's guilty of that behavior too... Another reason I don't go there anymore.

So you admit that you're a part of the problem?!
So like JR said - tools to make that easier would likely end with me banning people from High Culture for using it frequently. And I hate working banning people..

So yeah, hopefully by now you realised this is a joke.

In all seriousness, this would be a useful feature for us chaps and chapettes over in Mafia. But requesting changes for 'Forum Games' isn't popular, I'm led to believe.

edit: Please don't ban me :(

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 am UTC

roband wrote:edit: Please don't ban me :(

I'll make sure SecondTalon doesn't ban you for the next day at least.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:44 am UTC

In lengthy math and linguistics discussions it's more useful to reply to the individual parts.

I don't think it's possible to have the button only in those forums and not in the political ones where full-quote replies may sometimes be preferable.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

Link to a bookmarklet that will work for Gecko. Quote the entire post, add "-s-" where you want to split the quotes, run the bookmarklet. Job done.

Note: Does not play well with the "XKCD Post Quote Link" Greasemonkey script.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

I find myself inserting [/quote][quote='name'] very often, and I'm of the opinion there are very valid use cases for such a thing. In addition I think it might reduce on faulty syntax that causes posts to get garbled. I second the request!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Return to “Site/Forum issues”