xkcd store experience - Horrible!

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sysadmin2020

xkcd store experience - Horrible!

Postby Sysadmin2020 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:40 am UTC

So I tried ordering stuff from the xkcd store, and gotta say whoever runs the store is just doing a horrible job. Let me explain anyways...

I order items that are in stock at xkcd, I receive an email letting me know the order has been confirmed, paid for and then another saying it was shipped. After a week I get a little curious so I sent an email asking for the tracking number of the sent package. I get a reply saying the items are on back-order for the next few weeks, and that the order is not even shipped.

If you order items from a store that says they will arrive in 2-3 business days, several weeks before Christmas, you kind of think they will arrive before the holidays. If I didn't send an email asking for the tracking number, I KNOW I wouldn't of been told about this back-order until well after new years. It seems to me the guy running the store is just taking orders for items, saying their in stock, shipped and then just plans to deal with the shit storm after people start complaining about their orders not arriving.

I realize it may just be a little online store but come on, if any seller did this on amazon or ebay they would be banned within a few weeks. Pulling crap like this gives xkcd a bad name. I like ordering small joke gifts like the ones in the store but there's no way I'm ever buying anything here again and I wouldn't recommend anyone else should either.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: xkcd store experience - Horrible!

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 am UTC

Forum and store are not linked, send them an e-mail about it, you'll be more likely to get a response.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am UTC

Specifically you should e-mail orders@xkcd.com, they should be able to help you out (though that's probably the e-mail address you already used to correspond with them). That said, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the store - honestly the best thing to do is keep in contact.

JHartikka

Postby JHartikka » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 pm UTC

The xkcd store: Paid but got nothing except excuses... :(

Hi,

Similar experience with the store.xkcd.com here, too! Tey confirmed the order and took the money and that was it. Now after googling for other people experiences I am beginning to see this as repeating neglection pattern of the store. It even brings a suspection of fraud to one's mind.

My son ordered items months ago but got nothing. No parcel, no tracking number, no refund. Good thing is that there is someone - we are getting responses for e-mails - but nothing else.

Below are copies of my e-mails to the xkcd store. These are only the latter part of our tries to get my son's money back. He tried himself for a few weeks with no result except empty promises from the xkcd store which gradually starts to appear very questionable business by our experiences...

- J. Hartikka

Finland
Spoiler:
----

7/31/2012
xkcd store
To J. Hartikka

Hi Juha,

That's probably the best way to address the issue, we're supposed to do refunds at minimum once a week if any need to go through and this has taken far too long. I'll contact my boss again and let him know that this absolutely has to be taken care of now.

Best,
Matthew Smoot
xkcd order wrangler

J. Hartikka
To orders@xkcd.com

Hello Matthew,

It appears that my son still has not got the refund to his paypal account. Is there anything we could do to help you proceed with it?

I added a comment about our experiences to page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

"Anyone else have experience of xkcd store? My junior ordered items from there in April 2012, and still have got nothing - no parcel and no refund. Have asked many times to solve the case but nothing seems to happen except storekeeper promises..."

Regards,

- J Hartikka -

To: orders@xkcd.com
Subject: RE: Order not received- please refund
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:56:50 +0300

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your concern! Nice to hear that the case will be solved soon.

Regards,

- J Hartikka -

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:06:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Order not received- please refund
To: j_hartikka@hotmail.com

Hello Juha,

We've not been able to track down the package so I've told my boss to issue a full refund. I think it will go through tomorrow.

Best,
Matthew Smoot
xkcd order wrangler

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM, J. Hartikka <j_hartikka@hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for you reply to my junior Kari. This is one of the first online shop orders he has made all by himself. By my own web shopping experiences it is usual that parcels from US usually travel for more than a month until they are here. This one unfortunately appears to have gone entirely lost.

If you have a tracking code or other mailing documents you might apply mailing service for compensation. This helped mail to find my lost parcel that had traveled more than six weeks from Hong Kong. After the seller asked for reimburse the mail service found it on a couple of days and I finally received it. :)

However, if you can not track and find the parcel, please refund my son!

Regards,

- J. Hartikka -

As is our standard response: This forum and the store have absolutely no connection to each other. I understand that you are exasperated, and I wish you luck, but posting this in three different threads serves absolutely no purpose.

- Az

JHartikka

Postby JHartikka » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

JHartikka wrote:The xkcd store: Paid but got nothing except excuses... :(

[/size][/spoiler]

As is our standard response: This forum and the store have absolutely no connection to each other. I understand that you are exasperated, and I wish you luck, but posting this in three different threads serves absolutely no purpose.

- Az

Hi Az,

Well, at least this time you had a very positive impact on xkcd store: After writing the three posts to your site threads my junior eventually received the xkcd store refund for his missing parcel ordered in April!

Thanks for internet publicity which helps when all efforts contacts fail... And thank you store people for finally taking care of the refund! :)

Regards,

- J. Hartikka -

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

JHartikka wrote:Well, at least this time you had a very positive impact on xkcd store: After writing the three posts to your site threads my junior eventually received the xkcd store refund for his missing parcel ordered in April!

Thanks for internet publicity which helps when all efforts contacts fail... And thank you store people for finally taking care of the refund! :)

I cannot be more clear: We had nothing to do with the resolution. So why was your problem resolved?

7/31/2012
xkcd store
To J. Hartikka

... and this has taken far too long. I'll contact my boss again and let him know that this absolutely has to be taken care of now.

Best,
Matthew Smoot
xkcd order wrangler

Because the fellow at the store fixed it.

I am making this incredibly clear so that no one else, when faced with similar problems, can harbor any illusions that doing something (anything) here will make a difference. Take it up with the store via email. First, last and always.

Even if davean or Matt Smoot himself posts (which he could, he's at least registered) and says otherwise, I will deny it with comedic vehemence so as to underline a basic point: Making work for us here on the forums is not a legitimate means towards resolving a problem with the store.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”