Lo-fi/Mobile version

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wst

Lo-fi/Mobile version

Postby wst » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

Is there any way to access a lo-fi version of the fora? I like to check them 'on the go' and while I can manage with the current fora on my phone, at most places in my area I can only get GPRS, so there's a lot of waiting involved...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

sparks

Re: Lo-fi/Mobile version

Postby sparks » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

I can't find it for xkcd.com, but usually in Phpbb I've found there is an actual URL for it if the board has it configured. Most boards I've found have it (and I can easily find it through a quick Google search) but not xkcd so maybe it's just not configured? Or, your phone may have an option to automatically find the lo-fi/mobile versions of sites if available. Mine did, for example with Gmail, Google, meebo, etc -- it showed me the mobile version as a default with an option to switch to the "regular" version. Does your phone have that somewhere?
Aha, sorry, I'm not being much help :/
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

Um, only Opera works on my phone, of all those, and it doesn't give what I think a lo-fi version of the fora would look like.
Compare this (Hi-fi) with this (Lo-fi)
I would like some way of getting echochamber to appear more like the lo-fi version rather than the hi-fi version, just for ease of viewing on a 2.4" screen and the slight speed improvements it will offer on GPRS.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Postby 6453893 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:36 am UTC

I don't know what this has to do with high or low fidelity.

Does your phone's browser offer the option to not download images?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:49 am UTC

To my knowledge the forum doesn't have a mobile version available, though I'd certainly like to see one. Something optimised for typical mobile resolutions, for example - although my iphone can handle everything on the forum well enough, it's more bandwidth-intensive than it needs to be and I'm having to constantly zoom to hit the right links. There are hacks for phpbb that will certainly do that sort of thing but someone would have to convince the sysadmin that it's worth his time to install it and get it working.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:I don't know what this has to do with high or low fidelity.

Does your phone's browser offer the option to not download images?
That's the terminology I've grown up with for fora.
I've set my browser to not download images but there is still clutter as the board skin is still in effect...

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

wst wrote:Um, only Opera works on my phone, of all those, and it doesn't give what I think a lo-fi version of the fora would look like.
Compare this (Hi-fi) with this (Lo-fi)
I would like some way of getting echochamber to appear more like the lo-fi version rather than the hi-fi version, just for ease of viewing on a 2.4" screen and the slight speed improvements it will offer on GPRS.

Well Opera Mini automatically uses to Opera corporation's servers as compressing encrypting proxies, you have to run the others on your home desktop computer.
I know of three or four sites that do transformative cleanup proxying for free in the manner you want judging from your links, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I'll try to dig them up in the morning.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:31 am UTC

How much control do you have over your phone's browser? before re-reading your request, I dug up the xkcd - A Webcomic of Romance, Sarcasm, Math and Language: gopher mirror link.

If I want to make the most of a low-bandwidth connection I use lynx (a text-mode browser), but that is optimized for 80 column display (probably have to go down to 40 column on a 2.5 inch screen. Can you disable graphics? Can you disable CSS?

The default style-sheet is guilty of using absolute-pixel rendering:

Code: Select all

h1 {
        /* Forum name */
        font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        margin-right: 200px;
        color: #FFFFFF;
        margin-top: 15px;
        font-weight: bold;
        font-size: 2em;
}
. . .
/* Main blocks
---------------------------------------- */
#wrap {
        padding: 0 20px;
        min-width: 650px;
}

- styles/prosilver/theme/common.css

The JavaScript for displaying the Advertising uses absolute pixel positioning as well.

Note: the print stylesheet uses a unit of measurement called "points" instead.

Edit: Absolute pixel positioning is not ALWAYS bad: for example, the avatars have a set maximum number of pixels for dimensions, so can be accommodated by boxes defined using the number of pixels:
http://echochamber.me/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21310
Did you get the number on that truck?

Return to “Site/Forum issues”