Problem staying logged in

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Numzane

Problem staying logged in

Postby Numzane » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

I have a problem using the fora. It seems that my browser "forgets" that I'm logged in after a very short time. Clicking on just about any link that requires me to be logged in brings me to the log in screen. Often the redirecting page that comes up after logging in sends me back to the log in screen. This (obviously) makes doing anything very difficult.

Google suggests that the problem is somehow cookie related, but I couldn't find any obvious option set to block cookies. This problem occurs in both windows xp and ubuntu (same pc). It also occurs in both IE and Firefox.

I'm going to post as much info as possible, since replying is generally pretty difficult.

I use ZoneAlarm and Nod32. Zone alarm cookie control is off and I couldn't find any option regarding cookies in Nod32, but the problem persisted when Nod wasn't running.
I've turned IE cookies control off, but that didn't seem to affect anything.
I've tinkered with FF settings, but to no avail.
I've got 4 cookies from forums.xkcd.com: phpbb3_tf93i_k, phpbb3_tf93i_sid, style_cookie and phpbb3_tf93i_u.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

MFHodge

Re: Problem staying logged in

Postby MFHodge » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

Try clicking this link: ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies

It's at the bottom of the front page and is labeled "Delete all board cookies". Obviously don't use it if you aren't having login problems as it will mess up your read/unread post history, I believe.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Well, I got four clicks in a row, which is more than usual. But the problem remains, unfortunately.

Also, the problem may not, in fact, be cookie-related. It just seems pretty likely that it is. Also, my internet isn't lightning-fast (384k), but I don't think that would be a problem.

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

The problem very well might be your ISP is using a proxy (for some unseemly reason) and jumping you between them. If your IP changes too much the cookie will be deemed invalid.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

Ah, that sounds like it could be the problem. The internet access / ISP's here are atrocious. I don't think my ISP is using a proxy (though I'm not sure), but I do know that I have a dynamic IP. Could this be the cause of the problem?

In fact, it now occurs to me that everyone I know has a similar sort of problem with 4chan, in that one will get a random "you are banned" quite often.

Is there any way around this?

Also, the problem is actually worse than this thread makes it sound. It's actually really difficult to reply to anything (takes more than 10 attempts, and some ninja speed).

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Refresh http://whatsmyip.org/ a few times and see if it keeps changing.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

IP seems to be constant. Further info: The problem also occured on an entirely seperate line with a different ISP. Could still be a common-to-South-African-ISPs problem though.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

I seem to be having a similar problem, with a twist - it works fine with Firefox 3 Beta 5 in Gentoo, but on the same version of Firefox in Vista, I get logged out after like five minutes. I do always check the "Remember me on this computer" box.

I have the same four cookies mentioned in the original post. I have tried doing the delete cookies thing, but I don't think it helped. (I'll try again.) I know my IP (98.212.195.62) is relatively stable. I am behind a NAT. Our connection recently became Comcast when they bought it from Insight.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

TomBot wrote:Our connection recently became Comcast when they bought it from Insight.

I don't know what the issue really is, but Comcast might be a part of it. ;)

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Ok, I had the same problem. Here is the solution. Apparently, the xkcd forums react rather violently with more or less form of spyware and cookies. Run an anti-spyware filter and delete temporary internet files. Problem solved.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Thu May 01, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Well, I've taken to just ticking the "log me in automatically" box, and it seems to do the trick. I still get logged out every now and then, but it isn't really much of a problem anymore.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”