Deleting threads/posts?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Annihilist

Deleting threads/posts?

Postby Annihilist » Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

How can I delete a thread I posted? And if I can't, can I get a mod to do it for me?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: Deleting threads/posts?

Postby Azrael » Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

You cannot delete threads.

The moderation staff can remove threads if there is a good reason -- but we do not make a habit of doing so. Typically, we consider things like "personal safety" as good reasons but not "I made an ass of myself". PM the moderator responsible for the subforum where you posted and explain.

EDIT: After a cursory search, I see that you've gone and redacted those posts. This is exceedingly poor form in a written medium. We typically remove a poster's editing rights in these cases, as a means of preventing further wildfires and to generally discourage the practice.

I've reported the thread and will let Jacque handle whether he wishes to remove the thread or reinstate your editing rights.

Annihilist

Postby Annihilist » Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

I don't see any reason I can't remove what I have written in the past if I wish to dissociate myself from its contents.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 23, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Annihilist wrote:I don't see any reason I can't remove what I have written in the past if I wish to dissociate myself from its contents.

Because it's incredibly disruptive on the rest of the forums to have large sections of a conversation vanish.

For (at least the first) thing I saw you had removed, had you PM'd a moderator (like Jacque, for example) and requested it be removed, then whole thing would have most likely been removed. No problem.

Remember, first and foremost - This is not your house to do as you please. This isn't even Belial's house to do as he pleases, even if it appears that's what he does. It's a community built around a commonality and is run with certain levels of respect and protocol. And one of those is that sections of a conversation will not vanish without good reason.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Annihilist

Postby Annihilist » Thu May 23, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Annihilist wrote:I don't see any reason I can't remove what I have written in the past if I wish to dissociate myself from its contents.

Because it's incredibly disruptive on the rest of the forums to have large sections of a conversation vanish.

For (at least the first) thing I saw you had removed, had you PM'd a moderator (like Jacque, for example) and requested it be removed, then whole thing would have most likely been removed. No problem.
Fair enough, I guess. I came here because I wasn't aware of the typical process in such things.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 23, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

It's all relative to the subforum. Az and I lord over areas where saying something stupid (his far more than mine) is par for the course. As a result, neither one of us are particularly inclined to remove things because the poster no longer wishes to be associated with the stupid, stupid thing they said. You said it, you deal with it sort of thing.

Your Art & Links is a completely different ballgame. Artists are generally given leave to destroy their works, no matter how terrible of an idea it is to do so. So Jacque is probably a bit more likely to remove things for users.

I say probably because I'm not him and I don't really hang out in YA&L, so I'm not sure what his policies are.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”