Forum is very very very slow

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ptolom

Re: Forum is very very very slow

Postby Ptolom » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Still getting intermittent 503s when trying to log in.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Took me several minutes to load the login page, then several more minutes to log in. The rest of the forum seems to run fine.

[edit] User Control Panel pages also took minutes to load each page.
...It made more sense in my head.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

davean wrote:Yah, it is on its own queue. Keeps the spam attacks from affecting the rest of the forum usage most of the time. I think you folk have been generally happy with said decision.

Everything UCP-related, like logins and PMs, is seperated from the forum.
So getting in is a pain (as is logging out), but browsing the forum goes as smooth as silk.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
davean wrote:Yah, it is on its own queue. Keeps the spam attacks from affecting the rest of the forum usage most of the time. I think you folk have been generally happy with said decision.

Everything UCP-related, like logins and PMs, is seperated from the forum.
So getting in is a pain (as is logging out), but browsing the forum goes as smooth as silk.

Since stuff seems to be quieting down I'm increasing UCP's quota but leaving it separated. This should lessen people's issues while only in extreme cases causing a small impact on the rest of the forum.

I'd recommend remaining logged in when possible though frankly.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

I haven't been able to log in today until now. Not everyone can stay permanently logged in due to cookie settings, different machines etc.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Things seem to be back to normal on my end. Keep up the good work!
...It made more sense in my head.

SwiftSilent

Postby SwiftSilent » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Right now, the forum is very slow. Taking me like 30+ seconds to log in.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 am UTC

Seems mostly to be logging in that's the issue. Once you're logged in, it's pretty quick.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SwiftSilent

Postby SwiftSilent » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Seems mostly to be logging in that's the issue. Once you're logged in, it's pretty quick.

Same here. But I'm just wondering if there's a way to log in a bit faster.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

SwiftSilent wrote:Same here. But I'm just wondering if there's a way to log in a bit faster.
Tell China to knock it off.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

I need to switch accounts (for a forum game), but yesterday when I tried to switch accounts, after logging out I was unable to log into either account until just now. It was very frustrating.

Is there a good way to switch accounts without having to log out first? E.g. using another computer is the only thing I can think of; does using a different browser or the fora.xkcd.com work?

FUCK CHINA.
-Adam

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

BUT ONLY THE SPAMMING PART.

I can confirm that using fora.xkcd.com (if you usually use forums.xkcd.com, and vice versa) will ignore your login from the "forums" version. I'm testing whether I can run two logins from the same browser (Firefox). Will let you know when, y'know, the login screen is sufficiently detangled from the spambads.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Both those options you list will work.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Confirmed, I was able to start up two tabs, one with each URL, and the separate logins were recognised.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

cool thanks.

Just checking, does it save the login for the next time you open the site? That's the important part.
-Adam

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

It does if you click the "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox on the login page while you're logging in.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I need to switch accounts (for a forum game), but yesterday when I tried to switch accounts, after logging out I was unable to log into either account until just now. It was very frustrating.

Is there a good way to switch accounts without having to log out first? E.g. using another computer is the only thing I can think of; does using a different browser or the fora.xkcd.com work?

FUCK CHINA.
Using a different browser definitely works. I use firefox and my bf uses chrome, and we don't clash for any logins (facebook, emails, etc).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Adam H wrote:I need to switch accounts (for a forum game), but yesterday when I tried to switch accounts, after logging out I was unable to log into either account until just now. It was very frustrating.

FUCK CHINA.
Using a different browser definitely works. I use firefox and my bf uses chrome, and we don't clash for any logins (facebook, emails, etc).

That's fuckin' clever. I need to start thinking with portals like that.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

I've made some risky changes.

Let me know if it alleviates the problem or causes the problems to spill over to normal usage.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

In case you see here before IRC, davean:

<robA> that risky move?
<robA> looks like it borked the whole thing, perhaps
<robA> me and others getting "504 Gateway Time-out"
<robA> wait, it's just the egosearch page that's erroring now
<robA> UCP is about as slow as before, but works - as does the rest of the forum

edit: aaaand egosearch is now working.

edit: 504s on login now. By myself and multiple others on IRC.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Angua wrote:

FUCK CHINA.

Logins use cookies, and cookies are browser-specific. That's why it works. The More You Know.

As for the fix: I got a 504 the first two times I tried to log in, it worked the third time.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

stickler

Postby stickler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Getting 503s on every other page load, all over the forum.

roband

Postby roband » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

Yeah, it was down for everyone from 2:30 GMT to 7:30 GMT.

Diadem

I can't log in to the forums!

Postby Diadem » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Today when I opened the forums, I found myself logged out. That in itself ain't weird. Happens once a month or something.

But I seem to be completely unable to log back on again. The entire site is working fine, and is in fact very fast. But login just times out every time I try.

is this a known issue? Or am I the one who is experiencing this? Any fix in the pipeline?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: I can't log in to the forums!

Postby poxic » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:08 am UTC

All related to this, I think. The site is under attack from what appears to be an undead army of spammers. Last I saw, davean was lighting himself on fire and hurling himself at the enemy.

PhoenixEnigma

Re: I can't log in to the forums!

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:13 am UTC

It's a known issue, discussed in the "Fora is very very slow" thread here. As I understand it, davean has the login/UCP bits of the forums taking the brunt of Chinese spam attacks so that the remainder is able to operate relatively normally (though it has been up and down as well lately.)
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Yeah, all part of the same thing, No more chatter needed.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Yeah, apart from in response to posts from davean saying he's changed something and wonders how it affects you, further posts about slow forums or 503 errors aren't really needed.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

This is the first time since right after daveans last post that I've been able to log in. Although my "stay logged in" is checked, the home page of th forum loads but I'm not logged in. If I try to log in or view any page, it times out.

Today when I checked just now, I was auto logged in when I clicked my forums bookmark and it seems to be all normal.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

... ok. I'm going to just lock this for now. When davean has an update for us, he will (be able to) post it. He might even unlock this thread if he'd like some feedback.

But further notice, please be aware that you will experience intermittent forum and/or login delays.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”