Recaptcha no longer working [edit: workarounds available inside]

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Madge

Recaptcha no longer working [edit: workarounds available inside]

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 am UTC

Phone post so brief.

I can't login on my desktop without captcha due to too many login attempts.

However, the recaptcha is not working and is asking me to direct site owners to upgrade the captcha system.

Can this be upgraded?

Also is there a way to reset the too many login flag on my account so that I can get around it

Cheers

edit: see downthread for a workaround - apparently typing 'v1' as the captcha answer will solve the captcha.
Last edited by Madge on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Madge

Re: Recaptcha no longer working

Postby Madge » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 am UTC

This also prevents registration btw
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm UTC

Madge wrote:This also prevents registration btw
There was a gap in registrations on the 15th, but 18 accounts have joined the site since then so it seems this part of the problem, at least, is fixed.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 am UTC

I still see an unavailable recaptcha when I try to log in or register an account. I'd post a screenshot but I'm on my phone. Can someone please reset the login flag for me if that's possible?

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 am UTC

Screenshots:

when I attempt to log in:

new user registration:

I've "replicated" this issue in Windows 10 and Kubuntu. (Got these on Chrome/Chromium in both instances).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:38 pm UTC

If anyone is still looking at this I can confirm the above issue, at least when it comes to trying to register a new account. Also Chrome/Win 10.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

okay, that was the scariest 12 hours of my life, I got locked out of my account on all of my devices (:O) and started panicking and decided to try resetting my password, which it turned out also reset the "too many logins" flag on my account so I'M BACK, BABY.

So the issue is still a problem for new signups, but you don't need to reset the login flag on my account.

If anyone is reading this and is locked out of their account, here's the workaround:

- Reset your password

- Open the "reset password" link in your email

- Login with your new password which let's be real is way more secure than the password you were using before

- Continue to make a nuisance of yourself on the mafia and site issues fora

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:55 pm UTC

The captcha still is broken for new registration, it seems. Google’s official solution is updating to version 2. I don’t know if it’s possible to pass the captcha in this state (considering there have been accounts registered since then, it seems like it’s possible), but for security, it is probably better to upgrade. It looks like they simply don’t process api call for v1 anymore.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 pm UTC

(I had refrained from saying anything before, as I've watched this thread evolving, but I don't feel quite so bad for my "FAO explainxkcd" thread now. Still broken over there, I see, but they're in good company given the wide spread of this lack of upgrade. Could almost be imagined a DoS thing, heavily obfuscated to deflect blame onto the local administrators.)

Haven't quite had cause to test out the local interaction, but have been dangerously close to it as I had problems in the last couple of days with this device being unable to be charged while out on the road (my usual solutions having serially failed to be available for different reasons compunding upon each other) and I was beginning to worry about getting the login right if I had pursued access by alternate machines that I'd not used before.

So good luck, TPTB, in getting it fully resolved. For all the systems for which the advanced upgrade announcements apparently never really arrived intact from the vendor. As we've just been reminded by the talk surrounding the currently penultimate comic, https://xkcd.com/1028/ probably covers some of what we're seeing. I hope people stuck dealing with the outrage of the ultimate end-users are bending the earsmof those back at CAPTCHA-central, so that if/when V3 migration has to happen that it goes by without quite so many upset people at all levels.

turingbiomachine

Postby turingbiomachine » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 am UTC

Ok, just for anyone that needs it, typing "V1" solves the recaptcha. It worked for me.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/neopets/comments/8biewm/captcha_v1_shutdown/

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: Recaptcha no longer working [edit: workarounds available inside]

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:29 pm UTC

"V1" didn't work for me. I got:
No soup for you! It looks like you have been flagged as a spammer.
If you feel this decision was made in error contact the board admin.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

lucusloc

Re: Recaptcha no longer working [edit: workarounds available inside]

Postby lucusloc » Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am UTC

"v1" worked for me (lower case, upper case did not work). I also tried audio, so that may have triggered something.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”