Search found 513 matches

by itaibn
Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:17 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0725: "Literally"
Replies: 139
Views: 35089

Re: "Literally" Discussion

Compare:
"She literally had a heart attack on the roller coaster."
"She had a heart attack on the roller coaster."

Language is weird.
by itaibn
Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 pm UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: What would you do with an infinitely fast computer?
Replies: 818
Views: 226090

Re: What would you do with an infinitely fast computer?

Use it to compute to as much of Chaitin's constant as is possible. Once I have completed that, I use the resulting sum of mathematical truth to give non-constructive proofs to many famous problems. You know that it takes about BB(n) time to solve the halting problem of an n-bit program using Chaiti...
by itaibn
Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:59 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: how did it happen?
Replies: 78
Views: 15289

Re: how did it happen?

63. The man was in fact a strawman. To save money, the farmer who made it decided not to put on it any clothes. It was knocked down by very harsh winds. 64. A Alice convinced her very gullible friend Bob that if he would get very good luck if he were to sleep in the middle of a field naked. After la...
by itaibn
Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: xkcd.com/unixkcd
Replies: 292
Views: 114787

Re: April Fools 2010 Discussion

Code: Select all

guest@xkcd:/$ light lamp
You set your lamp ablaze.
guest@xkcd:/$ go south
A dark hallway.

Exits: north, south
guest@xkcd:/$ go south
Bed. This is where you sleep.

Exits: north
guest@xkcd:/$ sleep 5
Unrecognized command.

:(
by itaibn
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:34 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9990
Views: 1999361

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

I was this close to finding the Ultimate Question. :cry:

Code: Select all

>>> 0x2b or not 0x2b
43
by itaibn
Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Editors
Replies: 267
Views: 140770

Re: Editors

vim has all the features I could possibly need. emacs has all the features I could possibly need (I am curious if anybody can give a counterexample to those claims). I know vim.

I think you can guess the rest.
by itaibn
Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Pick a number between 1 and 100
Replies: 74
Views: 7560

Re: Pick a number between 1 and 100

93
by itaibn
Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:49 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9990
Views: 1999361

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

why not do this instead? : fib ( n -- m ) { { 0 1 } { 1 1 } } <array> 2 identity-matrix [ m. ] binary-reduce first second ; it's faster, and actually gives correct results (the only time yours gives a correct result is if you do "1 fib"). A. I'm not familiar with those words. B. My fib wo...
by itaibn
Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Vending machine!
Replies: 11476
Views: 1022067

Re: Vending machine!

You get caught.

I put a quine.
by itaibn
Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:37 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Count to a Million
Replies: 94956
Views: 7480336

Re: Count to a Million

24551
by itaibn
Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Vending machine!
Replies: 11476
Views: 1022067

Re: Vending machine!

You get an inside-out Mobius strip.

I put in hard work and dedication.
by itaibn
Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:57 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: The "IT DOESN'T WORK!" thread
Replies: 1962
Views: 564003

Re: The "IT DOESN'T WORK!" thread

I originally wrote this is "Coding: Fleeting Thoughts", but it fits better here: $ cabal install yi Resolving dependencies... cabal: dependencies conflict: ghc-6.10.4 requires filepath ==1.1.0.2 however filepath-1.1.0.2 was excluded because ghc-6.10.4 requires filepath ==1.1.0.3 Make up yo...
by itaibn
Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9990
Views: 1999361

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

$ cabal install yi Resolving dependencies... cabal: dependencies conflict: ghc-6.10.4 requires filepath ==1.1.0.2 however filepath-1.1.0.2 was excluded because ghc-6.10.4 requires filepath ==1.1.0.3 Why doesn't this work? What does ghc-6.10.4 want? edit: Moved this to the 'The "IT DOESN'T ...
by itaibn
Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:17 pm UTC
Forum: Mathematics
Topic: Largest number on Twitter
Replies: 70
Views: 10512

Re: Largest number on Twitter

Back to the original problem of making the largest tweetable number, instead of of the smallest untweetable number:

Code: Select all

Underload is amazing at making big outputs. Check the length of output for this one:
(:*):^:^:^:^:::(((:)~a)~(~)~a(~^^^)**a(**)**)~^^^^S
by itaibn
Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:24 am UTC
Forum: Computer Science
Topic: What would you do with an infinitely fast computer?
Replies: 818
Views: 226090

Re: What would you do with an infinitely fast computer?

No, we actually have no idea what he meant until he clarifies. Both of those interpretations make sense, it's just that headprogrammingczar was ambiguous.
by itaibn
Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:08 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1590
Views: 419736

Re: My number is bigger!

We simply state that W(a) is closed under any normal function which W(b) is closed under for any b < a. I realized that for certain ordinals you could be sneaky, and define ever slower sequences which are all normal and all reach that ordinal... but then I also realized that any of them actually wo...
by itaibn
Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:20 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1590
Views: 419736

Re: My number is bigger!

I really should have posted this message earlier. I guess posting it really late is better than not at all. I'm fairly sure that, given the requirements for a function to be normal, for any value which is the fixed point of a normal function, there should be a least normal function which that fixed ...
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 pm UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: The one bestest ever of all time language to rule them all
Replies: 141
Views: 27356

Re: The one bestest ever of all time language to rule them all

Haskell. Doubters' moms are liable to turn into a black hole when forced to fit inside an Olympic swimming pool.
edit: fixed grammar.
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Simple Question = Silly Answer
Replies: 4335
Views: 284716

Re: Simple Question = Silly Answer

The long end.

What's the best programming language?
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:12 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: 2 puppies
Replies: 132
Views: 18524

Re: 2 puppies

@itaibn: your case statement needs a matching 'end'. Also, I think you need to change the rand() calls to return integers. #!/usr/bin/ruby # Variables counting how many times both dogs are male and how many times a # single dog was male. both, single = 0, 0 1000000.times do # Note: 0 means female, ...
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9990
Views: 1999361

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Inspired by comments earlier in this thread, I decided to learn Factor . This is one of my first programs: : fib 1 0 rot [ [ + ] [ drop ] bi ] times drop ; Aren't you forgetting your stack effect declaration? Yes I am. Fixed version: : fib ( n -- m ) 1 0 rot [ [ + ] [ drop ] bi ] times drop ; EDIT:...
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:02 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Count to a Million
Replies: 94956
Views: 7480336

Re: Count to a Million

24206
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:37 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: 2 puppies
Replies: 132
Views: 18524

Re: 2 puppies

I decided to write a code in ruby to test this (I'm already pretty certain it's 1/3, I'm making the code to convince others, though I am expecting them to claim I'm not simulating the situation correctly). However, for some reason it's getting an error: dogRiddle.rb:22: syntax error, unexpected $end...
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:28 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The Bobs
Replies: 37
Views: 5008

Re: The Bobs

I asked them, and Bob is 9 and Bob is 46. Though I'm not quite sure how you expect people who don't know Bob and Bob to answer this, since you never mentioned them in your description.
by itaibn
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts
Replies: 9990
Views: 1999361

Re: Coding: Fleeting Thoughts

Inspired by comments earlier in this thread, I decided to learn Factor. This is one of my first programs:

Code: Select all

: fib 1 0 rot [ [ + ] [ drop ] bi ] times drop ;
by itaibn
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 am UTC
Forum: Religious Wars
Topic: Best paradigm
Replies: 16
Views: 3582

Re: Best paradigm

Functional programming.
by itaibn
Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0690: "Semicontrolled Demolition"
Replies: 158
Views: 33453

Re: "Semicontrolled Demolition" Discussion

Swampdonkey wrote:Do you take an arithmetic or a geometric mean when averaging craziness?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic-geometric_mean

Vaccines don't cause autism, but a person with autism is more likely to later get a vaccine.
by itaibn
Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:36 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1590
Views: 419736

Re: My number is bigger!

Reminder: If you want to get the record, say what your number is along with a vague argument on why it is larger than mine. By the way WarDaft, you need to be more precise on your Wf function; in paticular, what you mean by "the least function k()". This is the definition for my number: p(...
by itaibn
Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Count to a Million
Replies: 94956
Views: 7480336

Re: Count to a Million

22848
by itaibn
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The first shall be last
Replies: 7
Views: 2484

Re: The first shall be last

jaap wrote:
itaibn wrote:Part 2:
Spoiler:
578947368421*2=157894736842

Nope, doubling something cannot give you a smaller number...
Spoiler:
578947368421*2=1157894736842

Oops! :oops:
by itaibn
Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Meta Forum Game
Replies: 353
Views: 53169

Re: Meta Forum Game

timonan wrote:Accidental erasing of everyone's scores.

Embarrassed laugh.

Halfhearted excuse that the posts were straying from the game anyway.

Makes suspiciously high estimate of my previous score.
by itaibn
Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:14 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: The first shall be last
Replies: 7
Views: 2484

Re: The first shall be last

Part 2:
Spoiler:
578947368421*2=157894736842
by itaibn
Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:33 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: My write-up of the "Blue Eyes" solution (SPOILER A
Replies: 1368
Views: 420767

Re: My write-up of the "Blue Eyes" solution (SPOILER A

Two problems with your solution:
1. These guys spent wasted their life getting perfect logical enlightenment. They have no physical strength at all.
2. They actually quite like the island. They only leave because they logically must.
by itaibn
Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:39 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Infinite Balls and Jugs
Replies: 12
Views: 12549

Re: Infinite Balls and Jugs

One possibility: At midnight the jar explodes and an infinite number of balls come out. You try to read the number on one of them, but the handwriting is too small to see anything. What I believe: It is impossible to fit any arbitrarilly large number of balls in a jar, especially when you do it arbi...
by itaibn
Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:55 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Criminals, splitting money.
Replies: 29
Views: 4341

Re: Criminals, splitting money.

You all made a mistake here:
Spoiler:
If there is only 1 person left, it is impossible for him to get any votes, and will invariably get shot.
by itaibn
Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:31 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Traveler's Dilemma: What would YOU do?
Replies: 166
Views: 19380

Re: Traveler's Dilemma: What would YOU do?

I'd assume the other person is honest and will pick the actual value of the item. Hence V-1.
by itaibn
Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:22 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1590
Views: 419736

Re: My number is bigger!

I don't think you understand my paradox. Since sk(f(0))=f(0),sk(f(1))=f(1),... is a sequence converging to f(omega), the natural way to extend it is with f(a) in general, and so sk(f(omega)+1)>f(omega+1). Doesn't matter any more. Ordinal collapse is so dense a notation that you could never prove a g...
by itaibn
Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1590
Views: 419736

Re: My number is bigger!

I found a paradox with the sk function: Defining f(i) to be the i'th x such that sk(x)=x, what is sk(f(omega)+1)?
Also: After checking, It turns out my number is the largest for 5 and a half pages. However, due to the huge necro in the second page, I didn't hold the record for the longest time.
by itaibn
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:22 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Random bitstream! (000zerozero000000zero)
Replies: 1947
Views: 236970

Re: Random bitstream! (000zerozero000000zero)

1
by itaibn
Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:11 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: My number is bigger!
Replies: 1590
Views: 419736

Re: My number is bigger!

If I understand correctly, one of the crucial pieces is the ability to extend a function with the natural numbers as the domain to one with arbitrary ordinals as the domain. I have a feeling you can make a similar argument to my argument against the alpha function to show that this is undefinable. I...

Go to advanced search