Search found 7148 matches

by ucim
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:42 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: sick realization: you have negative dollars
Replies: 174
Views: 69980

Re: sick realization: you have negative dollars

...Taken to extreme, we get monopolies which do severely limit growth... This only means that capitalism needs to be regulated to some extent; that rampant laissez-faire unrestrained "sic-em" capitalism is a virulent disease within what is otherwise the most powerful engine of growth yet ...
by ucim
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:54 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: sick realization: you have negative dollars
Replies: 174
Views: 69980

Re: sick realization: you have negative dollars

People's justification to control capital ends when their interest is other than making it grow... It turns out that one of the effects of capitalism is that capital tends to grow under that system. This effect is strong enough to make capitalism a good contender in the "-ism" field. You ...
by ucim
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:44 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2477848

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. Your love of Donald Trump leads you to a high profile role in the White House of the United States, just as it becomes the hub of the Fourth Reich. There is the predictable nuclear war, which Canada wins, and you get prosecuted as a war criminal. I wish the line-select button set of my (old...
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:48 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cleaner Wrasse may be the First Fish Species to Pass the Mirror Test
Replies: 11
Views: 5164

Re: Cleaner Wrasse may be the First Fish Species to Pass the Mirror Test

You are correct that the general consensus is that the mirror test does test for self-awareness. I think however that it tests for a different cognitive property that is necessary, but not sufficient, for self-awareness. Why? It's fine to take a position, but if you want to convince anybody that it...
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2085: "arXiv"
Replies: 16
Views: 5728

Re: 2085: "arXiv"

Surplus situations exist within any economy which allow for all parties to benefit without predation, even when one or more parties is acting based on profit motive. Though I'm not Mental Mouse, it seems to me that the position is that in such ("win win") cases, the surplus can go to any ...
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 107342
Views: 51601847

Re: 1190: "Time"

Well, I've been in a dark room below the main floor, and there weren't a lot of people in it waiting for a physics expert to enlighten me on a blackboard. Dark rooms below the main floor are not good places to be on this thread (despite all the molpish people there, that I can't see!), so I'm poking...
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:37 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2477848

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. Your car door is jimmyed open, and stolen. The jimmy is left behind.

I wish for this wish to be corrupted the way Donald Trump would corrupt a wish.

Jose
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:35 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: sick realization: you have negative dollars
Replies: 174
Views: 69980

Re: sick realization: you have negative dollars

Janx wrote:I recommend "The Money Masters" by Bill Still (available on YouTube). It is a long listen
Could you summarize? It would help to determine whether it's worth the time.

Jose
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:31 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Cleaner Wrasse may be the First Fish Species to Pass the Mirror Test
Replies: 11
Views: 5164

Re: Cleaner Wrasse may be the First Fish Species to Pass the Mirror Test

but the mirror test does not test for some cognitive aspect other than self-awareness. Is this what you meant to type? From the (report of the) paper, it seems to me that it does test for self-awareness. It seems reasonable that self-awareness is on a spectrum, and not a binary quality. And yes, an...
by ucim
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:13 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Teachers being trained to kill kids
Replies: 108
Views: 24753

Re: Teachers being trained to kill kids

1: For the majority of US history teachers have carried guns in the classroom. 2: For the majority of US history it has been legal for a teacher to carry a gun in the classroom. 3: For the majority of US history teachers have legally carried guns in the classroom. Iff statements 1 and 2 are true, t...
by ucim
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 107342
Views: 51601847

Re: 1190: "Time"

lmjb1964 wrote:Can anyone pick out the new character?
Betcha BlitzGirl can, and she'll give xir a name. :)

Jose
by ucim
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes
Replies: 28619
Views: 3530035

Re: Blistering blue barnacles

Hotel website doesn't accept my mastercard. Hotel telephone reservations doesn't accept my mastercard. Hotel says there's nothing wrong with their system, try another card. Hotel telephone reservations accepts my other mastercard. The rejected mastercard company says there's nothing wrong with my ca...
by ucim
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Will robots replace programmers?
Replies: 19
Views: 8819

Re: Will robots replace programmers?

Jplus wrote:[Artificial s]uperintelligence is quite different and independent from strong AI.
In what (useful) way are they different?
Jplus wrote:...they'll have a will of their own. Because we made them so.
Eh... more like because we made it possible. If individual AIs compete with each other (which they will), then I can't see how will doesn't emerge.

Jose
by ucim
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Will robots replace programmers?
Replies: 19
Views: 8819

Re: Will robots replace programmers?

In the long run, robots will be keeping humans as pets. If we're lucky. I don't expect [the invention of strong AI] to happen soon. It may not be soon, but it will be sudden. We won't see it coming. The "humans will merge with robots" school of thought. I don't find the idea very convinci...
by ucim
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 8717
Views: 890961

Re: Trump presidency

If it turns out that the Trump (really the Trump/Pence) campaign illegally influenced the campaign, with or without Russia, where does this leave Pence? He's just as much a beneficiary as Trump in this, inasmuch as it would have gotten him illegally elected to the second most powerful position in th...
by ucim
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: disproof of boltzman brain?
Replies: 57
Views: 12851

Re: disproof of boltzman brain?

just the initial change from total entropy to low entropy (which then allows everything else to happen) What is "total entropy" and how does it even apply to a universe that doesn't exist yet? ↶ Is it? It is, by virtue of the simple fact that it's a *much* smaller amount of energy that ha...
by ucim
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:40 am UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: disproof of boltzman brain?
Replies: 57
Views: 12851

Re: disproof of boltzman brain?

I mean that a large universe which develops into a vacuum with a surprise brain in the middle is still more likely than a large universe with such low entropy that not only do you get a brain, but also planets and stars and stuff. Because the former is far higher entropy. Is it? In the latter case,...
by ucim
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2080: "Cohort and Age Effects"
Replies: 19
Views: 5613

Re: 2080: "Cohort and Age Effects"

Can't be, because then it would also be a real leg (possibly a negative real leg) from the frame of reference of anyone standing to either side of you and facing you. No, that would only work if they were standing to either side in the imaginary axis dimension . This means "from the past"...
by ucim
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:06 am UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: egyptian fractions
Replies: 6
Views: 2808

Re: egyptian fractions

An algorithm will give you [b]one[/i] expression. But Egyptian fractions are not unique representations, so a different algorithm may well give you a different expression for the same rational number. That's not a bug.

Jose
by ucim
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

Pfhorrest wrote:I wasn't actually challenging you to do that, but just pointing out that your accusation of someone else's entitlement was backward.
You are right. I misread. Sorry about that. I've edited relevant previous posts.

Jose
by ucim
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:50 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

Don't pretend that you don't always defend copyright law yourself. I'm not pretending. And while I am defending the idea of copyright law, I am not saying that current law is perfect. I was challenged to defend why anything like copyright law should exist in the first place. Society believes what s...
by ucim
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:09 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

It seems like you think you have some right to stop people from speaking/writing/etc something that someone has already spoken/written/etc before. Not me personally, but society. And not just anything that someone has already spoken/etc before, but only certain kinds of creative output. Absent rule...
by ucim
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:36 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

I just don't acknowledge anyone else's right to my own writing That is already in the current system. You can just release it to the public domain. You can even do it in your will if you want to keep your paws on it while you're living. But you shouldn't have a right to release my creative ...
by ucim
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:55 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

It's a trade-off between incentives to create new useful things via monopoly aided profits, and the public good of eventual access to your invention. Yes, I get this argument about patents . However, it has no application to trademarks (who was talking about trademarks?) and only partly overlaps wi...
by ucim
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

It seems that you think you have some right to other people's creative output. Why? edit: In this post I seem to have overreached, and now I can't find specifically what it was that triggered this response. (It was a general sense from some previous posts that protection of intellectual propert...
by ucim
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:58 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

A compromise might be for copyright holders to be required to renew their copyright each year for a token fee. Those "token fees" add up for individuals who engage in creative pursuits, and the requirement of renewing every year is more than a nuisance. It's a trap for those who get distr...
by ucim
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2477848

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. The big things drive you crazy however.

I wish the outlet I just put in isn't too far away from the appliance it's meant to serve.

Jose
by ucim
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:11 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News
Replies: 124
Views: 55628

Re: AI discussion from The Darker Side of the News

[T]he primary intention was that 'physical products no longer made or supported by the manufacturer are not copyright protected', so if someone gets sued for copyright infringement, the company performing the suing has to demonstrate that they are still actively selling or maintaining the product i...
by ucim
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:20 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 107342
Views: 51601847

Re: 1190: "Time"

So molpishly many emerging from the basement! Calloo calay! I have a few things I want to say, but I've forgotten what they were. It'll come back; but in the meanwhile I wanted to smile at you all and say you're not forgotten - in fact I'm here every day and enjoy seeing you all here too. More later...
by ucim
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:16 am UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: In other news... (humorous news items)
Replies: 15151
Views: 2664887

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Coyne wrote:Where there be five, there will be more...
Five is right out!

Jose
by ucim
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:14 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Count to a Million
Replies: 95058
Views: 7497223

Re: Count to a Million

One two three four five six
Counting the numbers up
starting at zero the
numbers accrue

Opportunisticly
placing my moniker on
Eighty six thousand six
hundred three two

Spoiler:
svenman wrote:Hi, Jose! How long have you been waiting to post that? :D
giggle!
Jose
by ucim
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:05 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2477848

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. Things keep getting worse, but people still hope they get better.

I wish for four fours, 'fore "fore!".

Jose
by ucim
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 am UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Circle of Life as Political Philosophy
Replies: 63
Views: 16618

Re: Circle of Life as Political Philosophy

You can deny people access to your services without denying them access to the means of production. Who said anything about means of production? Ok, your wife is the means of production of your children. So, there you are. Alice is your wife (you both have taken vows to that effect), and you discov...
by ucim
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:46 pm UTC
Forum: Serious Business
Topic: Circle of Life as Political Philosophy
Replies: 63
Views: 16618

Re: Circle of Life as Political Philosophy

The fact that too much violence is shown to be detrimental (Scar's over hunting upsets the whole ecosystem) does not change the fact that a small about of violence of the same type is justified. It just does not add up. Are you looking for a moral absolute? Perhaps life is nuanced, and there is no ...
by ucim
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 am UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2477848

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. The rules are not what anybody expects them to be however, and the penalties for breaking the rules are far worse than imagined.

I wish browsers would all stop their animations with one keystroke.

Jose
by ucim
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:03 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2073: "Kilogram"
Replies: 97
Views: 17195

Re: 2073: "Kilogram"

So far as gravity exerts a force on an object based on its (gravitational) mass, the object's acceleration under that force is determined by its (inertial) mass. Under classical mechanics, the fact the two masses are in fixed proportion (numerically equal with appropriate units chosen) is an empiri...
by ucim
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm UTC
Forum: Coding
Topic: New to Coding
Replies: 114
Views: 156712

Re: New to Coding

1. I'm a marketing consultant and fairly successful at it - will crack six figures this year. I can turn this into an agency and grow revenues further [...] 3. Although I have strong marketing skills, the thing that gives me the greatest joy is creating things. I make music, and I write. But I want...
by ucim
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Count to a Million
Replies: 95058
Views: 7497223

Re: Count to a Million

Keeping the count thread alive
I'll help you endeavor to strive
by upping the mix
with a quick eighty six
thousand one hundred and five.

Jose
by ucim
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: Forum Games
Topic: Corrupt-a-wish
Replies: 26079
Views: 2477848

Re: Corrupt-a-wish

Granted. Also, better mice. With lasers.

I wish people would realize that I'm right.

Jose
by ucim
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:04 pm UTC
Forum: News & Articles
Topic: Trump presidency
Replies: 8717
Views: 890961

Re: Trump presidency

As for point #3, your argument here amounts to "but if you don't punish them, that makes you their bitch". Punishment isn't necessary, successful pushback however, is. And yes. Accepting bad behavior from bad actors invites more. It's not a pro-Trump perspective. It's the Trump method. An...

Go to advanced search