Search found 1680 matches

by davean
Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:39 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0165: "Turn Signals"
Replies: 54
Views: 22951

25hz is apparently the magic number, but I personally can still see the flickering in a tv or computer monitor at 60hz. 25Hz is only where your brain can start to merge them into motion instead of static. Your brain is much better at telling the difference then that, its just taking steps to merge ...
by davean
Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:36 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Global warming
Replies: 82
Views: 24898

I believe now that we are at the point where we should be putting money into adapting to the changes. Somewhere in this past week I read an article that talked about new evidence discovered showing vast changes in temperature in the past. If so, then adaptation seems the only way. We have know ther...
by davean
Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:33 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0165: "Turn Signals"
Replies: 54
Views: 22951

You do know that the human eye keeps an afterimage for 1/10th of a second, right? :P Yes, but the eye is optimized to detect motion. The fact that it is still mixed with the old image is meaningless. Also, its not "1/10th of a second", thats a horribly naive view. How long depends on a lo...
by davean
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Global warming
Replies: 82
Views: 24898

Nuclear is far better, you just have to be willing to actually spend the money to build non-shitty power plants. Which we aren't. And I'm well aware of solar thermal, it sucks compared to any real energy source. Hell, not even all that much energy from the sun hits the earth. Are you kidding? The g...
by davean
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:21 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Global warming
Replies: 82
Views: 24898

Nuclear is far better, you just have to be willing to actually spend the money to build non-shitty power plants. Which we aren't. And I'm well aware of solar thermal, it sucks compared to any real energy source. Hell, not even all that much energy from the sun hits the earth. Are you kidding? The g...
by davean
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0165: "Turn Signals"
Replies: 54
Views: 22951

Binary.Tobis wrote:
Marlayna wrote:You couldn't have noticed a difference of 1/20th of a second; perhaps you meant half a second? :?


Well my point was it was barely noticable. :)


1/20th of a second is a damn long time, sure you could notice that. Hell, I notice UI lagginess down in the 1/100th range.
by davean
Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:31 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Global warming
Replies: 82
Views: 24898

Is it worth crippling industry based on inconclusive evidence? The evidence is only inconclusive if you listen to people who have no qualifications talk about things they barely understand. You prepresume we are capable of coming up with a better one. Things like solar would count as permanently cr...
by davean
Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:29 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Global warming
Replies: 82
Views: 24898

And ultimately, I *would* be in favor of crippling industry to save the planet. If our current level of development is unsustainable, then we need to take a few steps back, and redevelop in more sustainable ways. Otherwise, we're going to...you know...die, and whatnot. Why exactly would global warm...
by davean
Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:32 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Global warming
Replies: 82
Views: 24898

The "crippling of industry" would only be temporary, and only until we're able to adopt a more sustainable energy source. The main reason why we haven't already made the switch to a more environmentally friendly energy source (from carbon-based fuels) is because the research, and much of ...
by davean
Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0163: "Donald Knuth"
Replies: 36
Views: 22524

My all-time fav: - How many surrealists does it take to change a light-bulb? - Pink crocodile sandwich. I still like the mailing list (/forum, Usenet group, take your pick) spin the best. Oh yeah, and wasn't the joke here pretty much the same as in A Way So Familiar ? Doesn't seem to bother anyone ...
by davean
Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:03 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 696990

Zee Anything wrote:18/F/Worcester, MA here. I'm from Texas though. Geography major and all around nerd.


I'm afraid to ask for your opinion of the city.

/me is still hunkered down in Worcester also.
by davean
Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:26 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 12040

Nailing lists are well understood, and ... trivial. Would a nailing list be more related to crucifixion or "getting it on"? Hum, good question. I guess that depends on if it is a weekday or a weekend. One is work, the other pleasure. Of course, some people simplify this ambiguity by combi...
by davean
Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:17 pm UTC
Forum: News
Topic: Reading long tooltips in Firefox
Replies: 12
Views: 49331

MightyMouse wrote:I actually thought for ages that the ellipses were deliberate. How foolish do I feel?


Very.
by davean
Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 12040

I don't agree. Push services generally require a lot more configuration on the part of the publisher, whereas pull configuration can approach zero . That means more flexibility, especially for small sites. Lowering the bar is a Good Thing if it means a richer set of content gets out there. It also ...
by davean
Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 12040

Mind you the only real counter argument is not wanting to give out your email address, but this is easily countered with a dedicated email address that only accepts emails from the feeds you subscribe to that are properly formated.
by davean
Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:36 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 12040

RSS is still pull, and RSS doesn't publish a recommended pull schedule, as such it is a lacking formate. Feel free to get comics emailed to you though .:) How could it? The requirements would be different for every site. I suppose there could be a frequency suggestion field that publishers could cu...
by davean
Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:16 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 12040

I should learn to use RSS in some way to make my webcomic reading easier, but the few RSS aggregators I have seen which I am so far able to use have not done what I want them to do, being to display images from each thing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do? I like Bloglines , it's got a p...
by davean
Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: New to the Site
Replies: 23
Views: 8909

It is against "netiquette" to bump ancient threads because there's a surprising amount of content that will lose context after a month or two. Also, people get awfully confused when they see, for example, a post from a user who they thought had left. I'd recommend that the person who bump...
by davean
Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:32 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: New to the Site
Replies: 23
Views: 8909

I thought it was okay to resurrect ancient threads when what you wanted to say was actually relevant to the ancient thread (as opposed to starting a new thread.) Which in this case is to say a) hello and b) the comic rocks. :) Now, I'll probably just spend the rest of my life lurking around here. :...
by davean
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:17 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Plug!
Replies: 1
Views: 2137

Re: Plug!

I work for this site, 411 Mania Games , and I have this weekend news column, and I like xkcd a whole lot so I plugged three strips here: http://www.411mania.com/games/columns/45322/↑-↑-↓-↓-←-→-←-→-B-A-(Start)-News-Report-09.16.06.htm Hey, cool...
by davean
Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:29 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Please don't Care Bear Stare me
Replies: 26
Views: 10968

Saladin wrote:I remember I once got suspended from GameFAQs for claiming I was 2.

"Underage user."


This comic may be harmfull to your undeveloped brain, perhaps you should reconsider reading it.
by davean
Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:23 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0158: "Six Months"
Replies: 3
Views: 6896

Belial wrote:priceless. The type of joke reminds me of a softer world, but it would've made me laugh horrendously there, too, so....


We represent a harsher world.
by davean
Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Penny Arcade comic?
Replies: 8
Views: 6668

Well, I'm not, but ... something along the lines of "Wow, I still had something to do with my time back then." If I'm interpreting that correctly, then this is what copyright infringement is for! If I'm not, then... umm... look! A three headed monkey! Well, um ... something along the line...
by davean
Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:04 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Best search engine ever.
Replies: 17
Views: 5823

I'm searching for the weirdest search you've ever guided someone on.
by davean
Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...
Replies: 30
Views: 12040

Re: My preferred method of following Megatokyo...

...is to not visit for a month or two then, when I'm feeling like it, catch up on the dozen or so panels that Fred has managed to make. Personally less frustration that way for me, not expecting to see a new comic every day/week/month. You forgot to mention what you do when you actually see what he...
by davean
Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0157: "Filler Art"
Replies: 24
Views: 16507

Re: Mmmhmm

I'm pretty sure Gallagher is one of the hardest working artists in webcomics, but he's a terrible writer and needs to get someone to make up better stories to hang his artwork upon. MegaTokyo is one of the few, few, few webcomics that actually explores perspective, composition, and I can tell the a...
by davean
Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:29 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0154: "Beliefs"
Replies: 149
Views: 57780

in my understanding the poison's just there so that it can be alive or dead at any moment. Without it, then it's more likely it's alive because cats don't just die (usually). I'd say the deck of cards is a fair parallell. But that's not the point. If the outcome is that the cards are burnt and noon...
by davean
Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:24 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: XKCD porn movie [SPAM]
Replies: 27
Views: 20697

Re: codec

I quote (sadly from memory): "Would you like to install and run..." AND RUN!!! As long as those codecs dont need to be exectutable I'm a happy camper. Ironic though, As I'm upgrading to edgy as I speak. I have been for the last several hours actually. My poor little p2 thinkpad has been q...
by davean
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: What goes good with a Snapple?
Replies: 21
Views: 10639

Shoofle wrote:The periodic table is way biased against certain letters, such as E, and A.


'E' gets too much love anyway.
by davean
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0155: "Search History"
Replies: 87
Views: 26476

Hmm I thought why not look through mine, nothing too incrimidating. But then I came to this series ocean current office depot orgasum female periodic table pleasurering a female prepend PS2 EOE This disurbs me for two reasons; I have better spelling than that, and two, only females have used my com...
by davean
Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:42 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: xkcd is hard to type
Replies: 70
Views: 17003

Marrow wrote:Well the fact that it isn't a word, and the keyboard layout was designed to be easier to type words which is why it is arranged as it is. Sure, let me be the boring one this time :(


Which layout do you use?
by davean
Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:12 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0154: "Beliefs"
Replies: 149
Views: 57780

The relationship between science and technology interests me. Probably the best empirical reason for an uninformed bystander to trust that science works is the fact that the technologies developed using it (television, computers, plastic, &c.) work usefully. That isn't an airtight logical argum...
by davean
Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0154: "Beliefs"
Replies: 149
Views: 57780

First of all, sorry about disappearing after that statement. I just kind of forgot about this forum. Science is in no way seperate from religion or philosophy, because in its base is the faith that there is some reason to rely on Occam's Razor, logic, the observations of other people and so forth. ...
by davean
Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0154: "Beliefs"
Replies: 149
Views: 57780

Ephphatha wrote:Has science ever started a war? Seriously, I'm not trying to start anything, I think it'd be hilarious if it has happened.


Religion starts the war, science finishes it, we procreate so it can all happen again.
by davean
Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:07 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 696990

"Perhaps" and if the quote its self is a question? Problematic, huh? Probably should use syntax to indicate what you are questioning, as thats what syntax is for. As a freind said, "Here's a quote from Einstein: "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what then, i...
by davean
Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:15 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 696990

Yeah, consecutive punctuation marks can be ugly, but at least it's syntactically and sematically correct. Leet-speak and AOLisms, on the other hand, make me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon soaked in brine. But... It's not a dumb thing! I actually do it to clarify my writing and what I ...
by davean
Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:57 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: Long Links and Forum Etiquette: the Hidden Story
Replies: 29
Views: 11490

kastanok wrote:Point taken, Shoofle. Never really thought about it before but I'll make sure to tiny urls in future. :)


And when the links subsequently break?
by davean
Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:53 am UTC
Forum: General
Topic: QUESTIONE
Replies: 57
Views: 21616

I have a strong distaste for this kind of sentiment. There's people dying all over the world every day who have family that 'don't deserve' it, do you worry about them? I'm presuming no for the most part (but if I'm wrong I am genuinely sorry.) Since you asked, yes. Yes I do. In fact, since you wer...
by davean
Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0150: "Grownups"
Replies: 147
Views: 83894

Thanks! Once I read that one, I immediately thought, "I must destroy the artistry of this comic by changing it to an 80x80 .gif". Because, 100x100 wouldn't have ruined the art as much, clearly. Exactly. (Although I still have the 100x100) Which again raises the question "Why not use ...
by davean
Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:24 pm UTC
Forum: General
Topic: INTRODUCTIONS THREAD
Replies: 3985
Views: 696990

On a further tangent, if they is a valid third-person, singular, unspecified-gender pronoun, shouldn't the phrase be, "checks what they writes"? Maybe not, since it's "you are" rather than "you is". Also, I disagree with the idea that other punctuation always goes insi...

Go to advanced search