Search found 41 matches

by CigarDoug
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2040: Sibling-in-law
Replies: 52
Views: 11849

Re: 2040: Sibling-in-law

If we are only talking about siblings, the chain does not go THAT far. I have two brothers. My wife has two sisters.Two siblings in law. My brother married once, his wife is an only child. The other never married. One sibling in law. My wife's sisters are married once, two siblings in law. The older...
by CigarDoug
Mon May 11, 2015 1:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1520: Degree-Off
Replies: 110
Views: 29548

Re: 1520: Degree-Off

I am saddened to not see geology here. Even more so, considering it's only been mentioned once in the discussion. I'd consider it parallel to astronomy, as both involve every other science. Penny: What's wrong with geology? Sheldon: Let me put this in a way you'll understand, Penny. You remember yo...
by CigarDoug
Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1520: Degree-Off
Replies: 110
Views: 29548

Re: 1520: Degree-Off

A well-rounded man is versed in all seven liberal arts and sciences:

    Grammar
    Rhetoric
    Logic
    Arithmetic
    Geometry
    Music
    Astronomy

As Heinlein said, Specialization is for Insects.
by CigarDoug
Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1514: "PermaCal"
Replies: 33
Views: 7530

Re: 1514: "PermaCal"

orthogon wrote:You fix that, and continue to twerk it as you add more tests.

orthogon wrote:but the guy knew much more about software development than me, so...

I HOPE so. I never had an occasion to twerk code, whether I was doing test-driven development or not. #NerdsDon'tTwerk
by CigarDoug
Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1514: "PermaCal"
Replies: 33
Views: 7530

Re: 1514: "PermaCal"

What does four twentieths have to do with drugs? Oh, I gues that's an american date. Yes. It is an American Thing. The way I heard The Story In California the Police called possible possession of marijuana a 420. After ...many, let's call the number many. After, many arrests, people that were Not i...
by CigarDoug
Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1499: "Arbitrage"
Replies: 164
Views: 26100

Re: 1499: "Arbitrage"

Money is different: it's a product of society. Money is just an arbitrary value given to a vague concept without any inherent use Incorrect. Money has a specific value, the value of your intellect, the sweat of your brow, or some combination of both. It SIMPLIFIES the transaction between two willin...
by CigarDoug
Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1497: "New Products"
Replies: 53
Views: 9721

Re: 1497: "New Products"

Andries wrote:I got rid of my smartphone two years ago.

Am contemplating getting rid of my mobile phone as well.

Haven't owned a TV in ten years.


Area Man Constantly Mentioning He Doesn't Own A Television
http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/
by CigarDoug
Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1499: "Arbitrage"
Replies: 164
Views: 26100

Re: 1499: "Arbitrage"

I can't believe he really believed his notions would work if everyone were doing them. So I think his movement had a necessary foundation of class warfare, where the lower class would freeload and the upper class wouldn't. Maybe he believed this would tilt the classes toward equality, or something....
by CigarDoug
Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1499: "Arbitrage"
Replies: 164
Views: 26100

Re: 1499: "Arbitrage"

I think he's overestimating the arbitrage potential. Chips that have been taken out of the packet, left on a table, and potentially coughed and sneezed on probably lack both fungibility and liquidity. Actually, a sufficient amount of coughing and sneezing will ensure the chips will acquire some liq...
by CigarDoug
Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1452: "Jurassic World"
Replies: 37
Views: 12607

Re: 1452: "Jurassic World"

BTW, I believe the genetic engineering required to produced an upright T-rex includes rotating several tailbones by 180 degrees (one of the earliest paleontologists was so convinced of the upright pose that he actually broke the fossile vertebrae to allow the tail to bend that way). Scientists can ...
by CigarDoug
Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1435: "Presidential Alert"
Replies: 59
Views: 13654

Re: 1435: "Presidential Alert"

I am completely taken aback by such sweet little old men and women filled with Personal Hatred for One Person. You would think he had Done Them Wrong and then Bragged about it....They have never met him and never will. I know, addams. It's disgraceful. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4...
by CigarDoug
Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:54 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1435: "Presidential Alert"
Replies: 59
Views: 13654

Re: 1435: "Presidential Alert"

The Synologist wrote:Very funny one, but I was distracted after reading this by my realization that Randall's comics never have any visibly black people in them.

Maybe draw a half-circle for Obama, then?
by CigarDoug
Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:09 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1430: "Proteins"
Replies: 81
Views: 18264

Re: 1430: Proteins

tl;dr: Religion has zero evidence for or against, but science has plenty of evidence for, which makes that the new baseline, and religion falls short. I don't dispute that man's brain has allowed him to create marvelous things, which make life tolerable, pleasurable, and longer-lasting. But where d...
by CigarDoug
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1430: "Proteins"
Replies: 81
Views: 18264

Re: 1430: Proteins

That's a pretty big claim. How thoroughly have you checked? This is something that you seriously don't want to get wrong. If you're right, nothing matters, but if you're wrong, everything matters. What's 'matters'? Why is it good that things 'matter'? Is it something you came up with yourself, or d...
by CigarDoug
Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:55 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1386: "People are Stupid"
Replies: 256
Views: 48097

Re: 1386: "People are Stupid"

addams wrote:Americans.
There is a consistent group.

Like any other state of being,
We can develop a Talent for Stupid.

Ah, but because of our advanced technology, we can be stupid much faster and cause so much more damage with our stupidity than those other countries.

So there's that.
by CigarDoug
Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:21 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1407: "Worst Hurricane"
Replies: 92
Views: 26203

Re: 1407: "Worst Hurricane"

cct wrote:Can anybody identify which hurricane should be marked on North Carolina, in the blank spot to the east of Isabel?

That would be Hazel 1954, which stretches all the way up through New York.
by CigarDoug
Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1398: "Snake facts"
Replies: 144
Views: 31924

Re: 1398: "Snake facts"

Food for thought - Some of those people who do believe, went out of their way to build a country so they could believe the way they want without getting hit with rocks or killed. And meanwhile people who believed differently from them here in Massachusetts had to leave and, for example, start a who...
by CigarDoug
Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1398: "Snake facts"
Replies: 144
Views: 31924

Re: 1398: "Snake facts"

What does that have to do with "a god that requires worship doesn't deserve it"? Maybe the positive actions of the believers could give you a reason to reexamine your negative opinion. Also, it's pretty easy to make yourself look good by drawing comparisons with the worst places you can t...
by CigarDoug
Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1398: "Snake facts"
Replies: 144
Views: 31924

Re: 1398: "Snake facts"

In most people's concept of "souls", it's "taken care of" by just being a good person. Belief is irrelevant. That focus on belief reminds me of those kinds of gods that require worship to not throw you into an eternity of torture. I don't think those gods deserve worship. Food f...
by CigarDoug
Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:31 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1398: "Snake facts"
Replies: 144
Views: 31924

Re: 1398: "Snake facts"

addams wrote:Thank you, Eshru.
It's not easy being me.

I don't have much choice in the matter.

I tried being other people once. It didn't end well. There were multiple unmatched zombies and ghosts left in my wake.
by CigarDoug
Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1398: "Snake facts"
Replies: 144
Views: 31924

Re: 1398: "Snake facts"

But this is nothing special about 'the + singular' constructions. Statements about "a computer" can be generic or singular, statements about "computers" can be generic or (indefinite) plural, statements about "beer" can be generic or indefinite. I vote for indefinite b...
by CigarDoug
Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1392: "Dominant Players"
Replies: 187
Views: 40716

Re: 1392: "Dominant Players"

This is an except from the book "Hackers and Painters": Alberti, arguably the archetype of the Renaissance Man, writes that "no art, however minor, demands less than total dedication if you want to excel in it." I wonder if anyone in the world works harder at anything than Ameri...
by CigarDoug
Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1392: "Dominant Players"
Replies: 187
Views: 40716

Re: 1392: "Dominant Players"

Similar questions are: ⋅  What is games (is Minecraft a game?) ⋅  What is rpgs (is Zelda an rpg?) ⋅  What is animes (is Avatar an anime?) ⋅  What is art (is everything art?) ⋅  Yes. ⋅  Yes. ⋅  No. ⋅  Yes, but only if it...
by CigarDoug
Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1388: "Subduction License"
Replies: 59
Views: 15658

Re: 1388: "Subduction License"

addams wrote:Volcanos are almost an OverNight Ordeal.
First there is no mountain; Then there is.

Wrong.
FIRST there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, THEN there is.

Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWkGs6MxATc
by CigarDoug
Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:10 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1392: "Dominant Players"
Replies: 187
Views: 40716

Re: 1392: "Dominant Players"

Are there any jokes in this? I'm afraid I don't know enough about chess to know if there are any in there. I don't really know anything about basketball either. I'd love this for sports I actually know about or even actually follow. A while back, I originated what I call the "Michael Jordan Co...
by CigarDoug
Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1386: "People are Stupid"
Replies: 256
Views: 48097

Re: 1386: "People are Stupid"

Because Tommy Lee Jones' delivery is better than just reading it:

A person is smart, people are dumb
by CigarDoug
Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"
Replies: 879
Views: 155375

Re: 1379: "4.5 Degrees"

Children graduating high school this year have never seen global warming. For all the scare-mongering I have had to listen to for the last twenty years, NOTHING that Al Gore predicted would have happened by now has happened. At what point do all rational people begin to question these hysterical pre...
by CigarDoug
Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1352: "Cosmologist on a Tire Swing"
Replies: 87
Views: 25335

Re: 1352: "Cosmologist on a Tire Swing"

Randall missed an opportunity to make a wicked Narnia multiverse reference in the first panel. What do you mean, missed? The panel is clearly the wood between worlds in The Magician's Nephew. If Randall had set the date of this comic a week after the three characters arrived, we would see them all ...
by CigarDoug
Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1332: "Slippery Slope"
Replies: 119
Views: 22874

Re: 1332: "Slippery Slope"

The basic premise of Objectivism (summarized) is, "What I produce from the effort of my mind belongs to me. You have no moral claim upon it." ... If you convince the state to pass a law to provide "charity" which requires me to pay able-bodied people to NOT work, I am forced at ...
by CigarDoug
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1332: "Slippery Slope"
Replies: 119
Views: 22874

Re: 1332: "Slippery Slope"

And objectivism is one of the more actively unpleasant moral systems, as it is basically seen as the moral imperative not to waste your energy helping people who are lesser than you, that the only morality is acquire more power for yourself (It's kinda Sith-like in a way). That anybody who is benea...
by CigarDoug
Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 94402

Re: 1321: "Cold"

A Note: teaspoon and talblespoon are derived from that non-SI ounce system, being defined as one-sixth and one half ounce measure respectively (though likely originally were defined by something like 'amount of phlegm the King coughted up first thing in the morning' ). Remind me not to sample any o...
by CigarDoug
Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 94402

Re: 1321: "Cold"

PolakoVoador wrote:
alun009 wrote:°F? What is that, some archæic temperature scale or something?


For everyone on the sensible parts of the world: 0ºF == -17,7ºC

You expect me to accept that your part of the world is sensible but uses commas for decimal points?
by CigarDoug
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1321: "Cold"
Replies: 517
Views: 94402

Re: 1321: "Cold"

It's amazing how often this idea comes up, that a local cold snap disproves global warming. Actually, the emails admitting they are rigging the data pretty much confirmed it for me. Seriously, from a scientific point of view, starting with a premise (Man causes global warming) and rejecting all dat...
by CigarDoug
Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1315: "Questions for God"
Replies: 120
Views: 23505

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

I am curious, addams, do you NOT consider these to be three separate religions? Nope. I do not consider Judaism, Christianity and Islam to be three different religions any more than I consider Catholic, Mormon and Seventh Day Adventists to be three different religions. Catholic, Mormon and Seventh ...
by CigarDoug
Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1315: "Questions for God"
Replies: 120
Views: 23505

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

What is the funniest thing you heard an atheist say when they got here, and where did they end up?
by CigarDoug
Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1315: "Questions for God"
Replies: 120
Views: 23505

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Why did you create THREE different religions, and set them up to constantly be at war with each other? I can't tell. So much inflection is lost to the written word. Three Religions? Are you American? I know there are Americans that believe Judaism, Christianity and Islam are three different Religio...
by CigarDoug
Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1315: "Questions for God"
Replies: 120
Views: 23505

Re: 1315: "Questions for God"

Why did you create THREE different religions, and set them up to constantly be at war with each other?
by CigarDoug
Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:08 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1277: "Ayn Random"
Replies: 534
Views: 83112

Re: 1277: "Ayn Random"

I say bring back federalism. Some things require a strong national government... specifically those things which impact one country's relationship with another. Some of those things require a strong and simple infrastructure. Commerce and transportation come to mind. Now that much more of our inter...
by CigarDoug
Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1277: "Ayn Random"
Replies: 534
Views: 83112

Re: 1277: "Ayn Random"

I have been away from the site for a little while, very lively discussion going on. As one of the Randians who helped kick-start it, sorry I missed so much. I have a (U.S.-centric) solution to offer for Pfhorrest and others: Federalism. We have fifty states, each with its own government. At our foun...
by CigarDoug
Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1277: "Ayn Random"
Replies: 534
Views: 83112

Re: 1277: "Ayn Random"

It's not that she was a big influence. She is a big influence in America. She's required reading among right wing conservatives. In fact, a movie adaption of Atlas Shrugged recently came out. It's funny to make fun of her because her views are pretty much insane. When I first read Atlas Shrugged, m...

Go to advanced search