Search found 358 matches

by xtifr
Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2143: "Disk Usage"
Replies: 26
Views: 1820

Re: 2143: "Disk Usage"

Wow, I would think a geeky group like this would have a lot more org-mode users. Of course, one thing org-mode doesn't really help with (yet) is cleaning up the tons of .org files you can end up with lying around your filesystem. But at least it makes it easy to find all your random TODOs, and archi...
by xtifr
Fri May 03, 2019 5:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2139: "Email Settings"
Replies: 59
Views: 3523

Re: 2139: "Email Settings"

emojii (emojen/emeji?) It's a Japanese loanword, so "emoji" is both the singular and the plural form. English doesn't (exactly) work that way. When we "borrow" a word*, we may or may not borrow its pluralization rules as well. Thus "radiuses" and "radii" are ...
by xtifr
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:40 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2139: "Email Settings"
Replies: 59
Views: 3523

Re: 2139: "Email Settings"

The one I'm curious about is responding in CSS. "My emails can have no content, but if they did, it would be presented very nicely!"
by xtifr
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2129: "1921 Fact Checker"
Replies: 49
Views: 4668

Re: 2129: "1921 Fact Checker"

Junior reporter: (glances at notice) Uh, sir, are you sure this could be correct? Corn wasn't - The problem I have with this is that people in Kansas in 1921 were unlikely to realize that corn wasn't... Not just the readers of the newspaper--it seems unlikely that the writers would notice the appar...
by xtifr
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:46 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2130: "Industry Nicknames"
Replies: 28
Views: 2506

Re: 2130: "Industry Nicknames"

People who work down at the harbor are all too familiar with the influence of Big Buoy.
by xtifr
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:35 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2129: "1921 Fact Checker"
Replies: 49
Views: 4668

Re: 2129: "1921 Fact Checker"

"Corn" could well have referred to a variety of cereals to the people writing the alleged documents in the dusty archive, but it would not have meant that to readers of the Kansas City Sun in 1921. I suspect that what it might or might not have meant to people who wouldn't be born for sev...
by xtifr
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:30 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2128: "New Robot"
Replies: 40
Views: 3650

Re: 2128: "New Robot"

The problem with filling your balloon with electrons is that electrons still have mass. If you want to go really light-weight, what you need to do is fill your balloon with massless particles. As long as you have enough , say, photons, you should be able to offset the pressure of the outside atmosph...
by xtifr
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:48 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2129: "1921 Fact Checker"
Replies: 49
Views: 4668

Re: 2129: "1921 Fact Checker"

"Corn" could well have referred to a variety of cereals to the people writing the alleged documents in the dusty archive, but it would not have meant that to readers of the Kansas City Sun in 1921. I suspect that what it might or might not have meant to people who wouldn't be born for sev...
by xtifr
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2128: "New Robot"
Replies: 40
Views: 3650

Re: 2128: "New Robot"

I just started reading the Murderbot series. By comparison, Randall's robot is as benign as an allergenic pillow. Great series, but I'm not sure if you're accusing Murderbot of being benign or not. Murderbot--despite the snarky, self-adopted name--seemed pretty benign to me . I mean, yes, Murderbot...
by xtifr
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2124: "Space Mission Hearing"
Replies: 22
Views: 3278

Re: 2123: "Space Mission Hearing"

Isn't "spaceship noises" close to being an oxymoron?
by xtifr
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2119: Video Orientation
Replies: 51
Views: 6638

Re: 2119: Video Orientation

People who talk to you from inside a circle: 1. The Ringmaster. Never trusted that guy in the first place. (No, this is not a Tolkien reference, though I suppose it could be as well.) 2. Porky Pig. So I guess th-th-that's not all, folks? Interesting. Just what is going on that Looney Tunes doesn't w...
by xtifr
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2100: "Models of the Atom"
Replies: 34
Views: 5598

Re: 2100: "Models of the Atom"

what is the probability that someone from 1000 to 2000 years ago would imagine that "light" (em fields in the modern vernacular) would be the "foundation" of anything, let alone "everything" ("all the lower things" in the text). Given the huge volume of rando...
by xtifr
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2098: "Magnetic Pole"
Replies: 21
Views: 4738

Re: 2098: "Magnetic Pole"

I'll award 2 DarkNets to anyone who can combine magnetic pole flip with a bobcat or a velociraptor I got nuthin' on bobcats, but I know of no reason not to think that velociraptors use magnetoreception, so the shifting of the poles could affect their migratory patterns, putting some of our cities a...
by xtifr
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2095: "Marsiforming"
Replies: 31
Views: 5667

Re: 2095: "Marsiforming"

It always bugs me when terraforming is used do describe transforming the environment of earth to match another planet. Then it will probably really distress you to learn than Jack Williamson, who is credited with coining the term, actually published a novel named Terraforming Earth . :) (To be fair...
by xtifr
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2098: "Magnetic Pole"
Replies: 21
Views: 4738

Re: 2098: "Magnetic Pole"

Am I the only one to worry for all the magnetoreceptive bacteria and pigeon babies who now cannot find their way back home (or wherever they are heading)? (What did happen to those last time?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoreception /Jon Yeah, that's my main concern. Ordinarily, it probably ...
by xtifr
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:36 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"
Replies: 37
Views: 6935

Re: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"

Technically "eve" doesn't mean the day before, but just the evening of the day. Didn't mean. Once it only meant the evening of the day, but now it also (in certain contexts) means the day before. Because language changes. (Anyone who disagrees is welcome to explain why they no longer writ...
by xtifr
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2097: "Thor Tools"
Replies: 39
Views: 7267

Re: 2097: "Thor Tools"

Dr. Who fans are probably upset at how far down (up?) the chart screwdrivers are located. Me, I'm wondering where staple removers fit. In any case, it's important to remember the lesson offered by the game Munchkin: anything can be a dangerous weapon as long as you describe it as "...of Doom&q...
by xtifr
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2095: "Marsiforming"
Replies: 31
Views: 5667

Re: 2095: "Marsiforming"

nomaduk wrote:mixing Latin and Greek is always a bad idea

It could be worse. Consider, for example, "megatsunami". :)
by xtifr
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:27 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2094: "Short Selling"
Replies: 44
Views: 8598

Re: 2094: "Short Selling"

I have to say that ponytail's explanation of short-selling is not the worst one I've heard. :)
by xtifr
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"
Replies: 37
Views: 6935

Re: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"

So then logically your great-2 grandfather/grandmother is yourself, and your great-3 grandparents are your kids.

Extrapolating a little farther, your greati grandfather would be your grandparent's sibling. And so on...
by xtifr
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:28 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"
Replies: 37
Views: 6935

Re: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"

Technically "eve" doesn't mean the day before, but just the evening of the day. Didn't mean. Once it only meant the evening of the day, but now it also (in certain contexts) means the day before. Because language changes. (Anyone who disagrees is welcome to explain why they no longer writ...
by xtifr
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:58 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2085: "arXiv"
Replies: 16
Views: 5081

Re: 2085: "arXiv"

--SNIP-- I still have no idea how archive.org works legally, but I use it for films and books pretty regularly. I'm in the middle of Village of the Damned , the one from 1960. I usually watch in 30 minute increments on the stationary bike. Everything they have is either gone into the public domain,...
by xtifr
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:22 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2076: "Horror Movies 2"
Replies: 41
Views: 8358

Re: 2076: "Horror Movies 2"

In any case, even if you personally don't like tragedy, it seems a bit Dunning-Krugerish to assume that there's something wrong with people who do . Especially since so much of it appears on so many different lists of great works of art. In fact, I think it might be more plausible to assume there's ...
by xtifr
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2076: "Horror Movies 2"
Replies: 41
Views: 8358

Re: 2076: "Horror Movies 2"

I gave it a fair go, and I'd estimate that around 40% of it was actually pretty decent, and another maybe 20% was stuff I could see why people might like, even if it wasn't to my tastes. My later experience suggests those percentages hold pretty well for most stuff that's called "great literat...
by xtifr
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2076: "Horror Movies 2"
Replies: 41
Views: 8358

Re: 2076: "Horror Movies 2"

Well, at least this time, Randall is acknowledging that some people might have reasons for liking things he doesn't. Which is an improvement over Horror Movies 1. On the other hand, he's now dismissing not just horror, but all of drama, which is a bit over the top, I think. On the topic of "gre...
by xtifr
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2073: "Kilogram"
Replies: 97
Views: 14563

Re: 2073: "Kilogram"

If by pi you don't mean a specific number defined as exactly what it is defined as (which therefore couldn't drift), but the measured ratio of a circle's diameter to its circumference, then it's super easy to imagine what would make that drift across time and space, and we've seen it already: curva...
by xtifr
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2074: Airplanes and Spaceships
Replies: 40
Views: 6760

Re: 2074: Airplanes and Spaceships

Research, communication, and manufacturing . Although there's still some (a lot of) bootstrapping required for that last, there are countless industrial tasks that are either only possible or much easier/cheaper in microgravity. SpaceX just completed the first stage of getting approval to launch ove...
by xtifr
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:03 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2066: "Ballot Selfies"
Replies: 110
Views: 17066

Re: 2066: "Ballot Selfies"

Personally I think absentee voting should be limited to people overseas. What about people with mobility problems? Getting to the polling place at all is a big issue for a <em>lot</em> of people. And heck, why should "overseas" be the deciding factor? Maine is closer to the UK than it is ...
by xtifr
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2056: Horror Movies
Replies: 57
Views: 9747

Re: 2056: Horror Movies

Adrenaline junkies. 'nuff said. Actually, it is possible to enjoy an adrenaline rush without necessarily being an adrenaline junky! I love roller coasters, but find the urge to go skydiving very resistible, for example. But yes, adrenaline rushes are definitely one of the things that some people (m...
by xtifr
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1654: "Universal Install Script"
Replies: 57
Views: 21393

Re: 1654: "Universal Install Script"

Yeah, I definitely don't think you're wrong. I mean, for language-specific installers, he's got pip and npm, but no cpanm or gem. And I know he's familiar enough with perl to know cpan (the granddaddy of them all), even if he doesn't know ruby and gem.
by xtifr
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1654: "Universal Install Script"
Replies: 57
Views: 21393

Re: 1654: "Universal Install Script"

MarkGyver wrote:For example, only one Linux format was given, despite it being fairly common knowledge¹ that non-Debian-based distros don't use apt-get.


It also has yum and dnf, which are used by Red Hat and Fedora.
by xtifr
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2049: "Unfulfilling Toys"
Replies: 36
Views: 6220

Re: 2049: "Unfulfilling Toys"

You want fiddly? My brother has a Rubik's Cube he made out of paper! It's fully functional, but very delicate. Not completely unfulfilling, but definitely a case of being more fun to make than to use. (Or so he assures me.)
by xtifr
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2039: "Begging the Question"
Replies: 145
Views: 21437

Re: 2039: "Begging the Question"

If a dictionary is out of touch with usage, it's the dictionary that's wrong. That's a bit harsh. True, but harsh. Lexicographers will freely admit that they can only try to keep up with changing language--especially for a language as widespread and dynamic as English. It's not an easy job. And it ...
by xtifr
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:25 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2039: "Begging the Question"
Replies: 145
Views: 21437

Re: 2039: "Begging the Question"

Claiming the new usage is wrong is not necessarily a manifestation of the etymological fallacy; it may be based on unrepresentative sample i.e. you deal mostly with people who use the traditional meaning, therefore assume the new one to be wrong, even though it might turn out that the populate at l...
by xtifr
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2039: "Begging the Question"
Replies: 145
Views: 21437

Re: 2039: "Begging the Question"

This phrase drives me a little bonkers. It isn't that someone is using it wrong that bothers me. What bothers me is that when I hear someone use it incorrectly, I instantly think them a little less intelligent. Interesting. In my case, it's a complaint about the supposed "misuse" that mak...
by xtifr
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2039: "Begging the Question"
Replies: 145
Views: 21437

Re: 2039: "Begging the Question"

This phrase drives me a little bonkers. It isn't that someone is using it wrong that bothers me. What bothers me is that when I hear someone use it incorrectly, I instantly think them a little less intelligent. Interesting. In my case, it's a complaint about the supposed "misuse" that mak...
by xtifr
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:20 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 2018: "Wall Art"
Replies: 32
Views: 7551

Re: 2018: "Wall Art"

Also, happy Convenience Store Day. (USA only; Euro calendar order doesn't work) It's actually International Convenience Store Day. Remember, there is only one correct way to write dates . The fact that most of the US and much of the EU continue to ignore this in favor of their own stupid methods do...
by xtifr
Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1991: "Research Areas by Size and Countedness"
Replies: 30
Views: 5383

Re: 1991: "Research Areas by Size and Countedness"

Although I think there's no practical distinction, I think it is theoretically possible for xenobiology to cover Earth-native non-DNA/RNA-based life forms--if such a thing were discovered to exist--but such creatures would not fall under exobiology. Likewise, if DNA/RNA-based life forms were discove...
by xtifr
Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1989: "IMHO"
Replies: 111
Views: 20686

Re: 1989: "IMHO"

I've always used IMO, but I guess my opinion is neither humble nor honest. I used to use IMAO ("arrogant"), just to avoid the image of annoying false humility I associate with the standard version, but I got tired of explaining it, and just went to IMO. Hey let's have a more interesting c...
by xtifr
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1980: "Turkish Delight"
Replies: 95
Views: 20814

Re: 1980: "Turkish Delight"

orthogon wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Quiche is pie.


No lid, though.

So it's as much a pie as pumpkin pie, lemon pie, or pecan pie.

Quite so. What those things are, is tarts. Are tarts.


"Art tarts." If thou must stick with 17th century definitions of words, thou should conjugate thy verbs like a proper Elizabethan. :P

Go to advanced search