Search found 245 matches

by Victoria Maddison
Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6590

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

Could you elaborate on that? Sure. Pilon doesn't actually present any compelling evidence to support his claim for a protein intake of 70-120 g/day. Instead he lines up straw man arguments such as that because you can gain muscle rapidly as a novice lifter without any thought to protein intake that...
by Victoria Maddison
Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6590

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

EVERYBODY who's interested in sports nutrition should read Brad Pilon's works, IMHO. Pilon's book is a poor survey of the scientific literature with badly drawn conclusions. I'd advise against it. For building an appreciable ammount of body mass, overall calories are far more important - people see...
by Victoria Maddison
Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Sit ups with weights
Replies: 9
Views: 4944

Re: Sit ups with weights

Weighted situps are a good exercise. They should be performed with a rounded back, i.e. the opposite to what you would do for a squat/deadlift, and the weight should be held behind your head not at the chest.
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: A refrigerated glove?
Replies: 14
Views: 3777

Re: A refrigerated glove?

Izawwlgood wrote:An irrelevant fact when you consider there aren't any obese marathon runners.

That's a non-sequitur.
by Victoria Maddison
Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Resistance band workout questions
Replies: 2
Views: 1293

Re: Resistance band workout questions

1. Can I do resistance band training every day, or would that damage my muscles (like weights)? Resistance training (including weight lifting) every day doesn't cause muscle damage. 2. I have a short resistance band. I don't want to build too much muscle bulk. Should I switch to a longer one with m...
by Victoria Maddison
Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:23 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Sauna after gym?
Replies: 3
Views: 1666

Re: Sauna after gym?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'd think that the majority of harm would come from letting the sauna upset your hydration and electrolyte balance Excessive and/or prolonged increases in body temperature can also disrupt biochemical processes in the body, harming restoration. For example one ...
by Victoria Maddison
Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:55 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Sauna after gym?
Replies: 3
Views: 1666

Re: Sauna after gym?

When employed appropriately the sauna is an effective method of restoration and can significantly improve strength, speed, work capacity, heart rate, circulation, speed of motor/visual reactions, etc. However if used inappropriately it can be harmful to performance. The parameters for correctly prog...
by Victoria Maddison
Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Weight Loss Help. Please?
Replies: 17
Views: 3900

Re: Weight Loss Help. Please?

I'm interested in learning where you found that saturated fat is not linked to heart disease, because an overwhelmingly large portion the evidence that I've read suggests that it does. A quick scan of some scholarly reviewed articles yields an abundance of studies that illustrate this. The flawed l...
by Victoria Maddison
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:05 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Weight Loss Help. Please?
Replies: 17
Views: 3900

Re: Weight Loss Help. Please?

These questions always make me uneasy, and they always bring out the worst fad dieting trends. Ironically, as your post demonstrates, with all that anti-saturated fat rhetoric. Saturated fat does not cause heart disease. fats are perfectly suitable to replenish lost muscle glycogen/blood glucose. F...
by Victoria Maddison
Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Help for a jogging beginner
Replies: 18
Views: 2733

Re: Help for a jogging beginner

Definitely gonna need some citation on "shock abosrbing shoes cause injury" because I'm well aware of the biomechanics of the foot and I've never heard of that. Additionally, lack of shock absorption is a great way to screw your ankles, knees, hips, lower back ... hell, any joint above yo...
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:58 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Help for a jogging beginner
Replies: 18
Views: 2733

Re: Help for a jogging beginner

Arch support severely compromises the natural shock absorption capabilities of the foot, leading to a greater incidence of lower extremity injury among those who wear shock absorbing shoes. The arch of the foot is meant to be flexible like a leaf spring to passively absorb vertical shocks. Regarding...
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Cannabis use and fitness
Replies: 46
Views: 9649

Re: Cannabis use and fitness

Several Olympic gold medalists have been caught using marijuana.
by Victoria Maddison
Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:53 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Crossfit thread (AKA, Oh balls, i'm sore!)
Replies: 41
Views: 7556

Re: Crossfit thread (AKA, Oh balls, i'm sore!)

Back when i was in shape i worked out with some guys in Florida and they advised against going out drinking on Friday night because you'd still be dehydrated from that come Monday even if you were guzzling down water Saturday and Sunday. Not so. Even if you cut 30 lbs of water weight you can make i...
by Victoria Maddison
Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:09 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Bodyweight Exercises
Replies: 34
Views: 7394

Re: Bodyweight Exercises

As for the issue about connective tissues strengthening more slowly than muscle, I've heard that a lot, but never really from a reliable source. I'm not convinced it's an issue, as connective tissue injuries don't seem to be common in athletes following training programs like Rippetoe's, where huge...
by Victoria Maddison
Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:41 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Bodyweight Exercises
Replies: 34
Views: 7394

Re: Bodyweight Exercises

you can get as powerful (at least from a strength to weight perspective) with bodyweight alone if you are willing to put the time in and do it right. No you cannot. Power is limited by absolute strength, and resistance training allows for greater development of both these attributes. my previous po...
by Victoria Maddison
Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:48 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6590

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

What a waste of my time. I'm not going to indulge your sophistry anymore.
by Victoria Maddison
Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Paying for a Personal Trainer
Replies: 6
Views: 2297

Re: Paying for a Personal Trainer

Is this really such a bad idea? Unfortunately there aren't any certifications a personal trainer can hold that say anything about the quality of their instruction, the industry is virtually unregulated. NCSA, CSCS, CPT, NASM, etc. are merely protection against lawsuits and required for insurance pu...
by Victoria Maddison
Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:55 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Advice needed: my workouts
Replies: 13
Views: 3587

Re: Advice needed: my workouts

mariefranc wrote:Any reply would be appreciated.

The target audience for Kieser training is the prevention/therapy sector. It's not intended for healthy people to achieve high levels of strength/fitness. I'd advise something more pragmatic if that's your goal.
by Victoria Maddison
Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:05 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6590

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12093449 That article relates specifically to whether or not amino acid supplementation increases growth hormone production, finding no results. I'd say that's an argument against amino acid supplementation. That's a strawman argument. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:00 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Evidence for Protein Supplements
Replies: 24
Views: 6590

Re: Evidence for Protein Supplements

"Athletes in sports such as weightlifting and shot putting, in which muscular strength is the dominant motor ability, need at least 2 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. In superior athletes during periods of stress training, when the training load is extremely high, the protein demand is ...
by Victoria Maddison
Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently
Replies: 19
Views: 4222

Re: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently

I think a key point of the article you cited is that they adjust for the difference in energy expenditure during exercise. DO you happen to have a link to the full text of the article (that doesn't cost money?) I can only find the abstract, and I'm curious to see what the degree of difference in lo...
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently
Replies: 19
Views: 4222

Re: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently

This article would seem to contradict you. ... intensities of 30, 50, and 70% VO2max ... The study you've cited is on endurance training, and it validates what I've been saying. Tremblay A, Simoneau JA, Bouchard C., Impact of exercise intensity on body fatness and skeletal muscle metabolism, J. Met...
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:48 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently
Replies: 19
Views: 4222

Re: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently

Nath wrote:Are you including bodyfat lost after the exercise, due to faster metabolism?

Yes.
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently
Replies: 19
Views: 4222

Re: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently

fooliam wrote:Then you're just wrong.

You may want to read some research into the subject.
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:15 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently
Replies: 19
Views: 4222

Re: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently

That's not what I'm saying at all. For every calorie expended during high intensity exercise there will be a significantly greater loss of bodyfat as compared to cardio, even though high intensity exercise uses almost exclusively glycogen (not fat) as fuel. In other words, less energy expended durin...
by Victoria Maddison
Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:41 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: 6-pack
Replies: 96
Views: 21646

Re: What are the best exercises for getting ripped abs?

SlyReaper wrote:So does any other type of exercise.

Metabolism returns to baseline around an hour after jogging. It's the high intensity exercises like weightlifting, sprinting, plyometrics, etc. that raise metabolism for an extended period of time.
by Victoria Maddison
Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:53 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently
Replies: 19
Views: 4222

Re: Best Product/Tips to lose weight permanently

If do an exercise that keeps your heart rate between 55%-65% of your max heart rate you will burn the most fat. When your heart rate is in this range your body burns fat as the fuel source. You will even burn more fat after you have worked out for 30 minutes. That is not accurate. The fuel source u...
by Victoria Maddison
Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:47 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: 6-pack
Replies: 96
Views: 21646

Re: What are the best exercises for getting ripped abs?

Jorpho wrote:
CaptainNurple wrote:weight-lifting is one of the best ways to slim down, since it ups your overall metabolism/daily energy expenditure
Pretty sure they've debunked that one, too.

Weight lifting does significantly increase average daily metabolic rate.
by Victoria Maddison
Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:53 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: basketball
Replies: 5
Views: 1967

Re: basketball

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/PowerTidbits.html Exercise Mode Vertical Jump Increase Squats 3.30 cm Plyometrics 3.81 cm Squats & Plyometrics 10.67 cm Adams, K., O'Shea, J.P., O'Shea, K.L., Climstein, M. (1992). The effect of six weeks of squat, plyometric and squat-plyometric training on power prod...
by Victoria Maddison
Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Using a 6 foot bar for training?
Replies: 3
Views: 1663

Re: Using a 6 foot bar for training?

they don't like me dropping my dead lifts and power cleans, despite them having rubber plates. Rubber coated plates are different from bumpers and aren't designed to be dropped. One of my friends has a 6foot bar that they say I can have for free although I'm not sure of the disadvantages of this(as...
by Victoria Maddison
Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:23 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Sore joints: rest up or just work them easier?
Replies: 13
Views: 3838

Re: Sore joints: rest up or just work them easier?

They do, but chronic inflammation is different from inflammation caused by an injury. Chronic inflammation does not come from merely a "physical" injury but rather, such as in the case of Rheumatoid Arthritis, is a result of the body's immune system attacking the joint. The words chronic ...
by Victoria Maddison
Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:23 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Sore joints: rest up or just work them easier?
Replies: 13
Views: 3838

Re: Sore joints: rest up or just work them easier?

Inflammation is a symptom, not a cause. Actually it's part of how the body tries to fix the problem (increasing blood flow to the injury site). Covering it up with drugs might just make the injury worse. Drugs are rarely the answer for physical injuries. Joint inflammation is self-sustaining so low...
by Victoria Maddison
Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: A refrigerated glove?
Replies: 14
Views: 3777

Re: A refrigerated glove?

It might be because they live in the hottest countries in the world that they are so skinny and thus great at dissipating heat. I read an article a while back that the bodyweight of runners setting world record times has been increasing over the last few decades. Also, those of African decent are g...
by Victoria Maddison
Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:42 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: A refrigerated glove?
Replies: 14
Views: 3777

Re: A refrigerated glove?

I would not dispute their utility. But what exactly are they, chemically? I reckon whatever they are, they come with some ugly side effects? Look up perfluorocarbons, hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers, and liposome encapsulated hemoglobins. They're basically just molecules with a large number of oxy...
by Victoria Maddison
Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:16 pm UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: A refrigerated glove?
Replies: 14
Views: 3777

Re: A refrigerated glove?

Artificial oxygen carriers? Those exist too? Yep. Only a fraction of the oxygen in each breath is able to be transported to muscle tissue because there isn't enough hemoglobin available to transport it all. Introducing artificial oxygen carriers to pick up the slack allows for greater maximal oxyge...
by Victoria Maddison
Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:23 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: A refrigerated glove?
Replies: 14
Views: 3777

Re: A refrigerated glove?

Okay, thank you for that, but the official site has not updated for two years, so the question as to the viability of this technology remains. I believe their market is mostly the medical sector where traditional methods of raising/lowering body temperature are less than ideal. As far as aerobic en...
by Victoria Maddison
Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:13 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: A refrigerated glove?
Replies: 14
Views: 3777

Re: A refrigerated glove?

Jorpho wrote:I've never heard anything about this technology since then. Was it a dead end of some sort?

Nope, it exists. Avacore.
by Victoria Maddison
Mon May 10, 2010 5:33 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: I'm starting strength
Replies: 30
Views: 5365

Re: I'm starting strength

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51707.php http://stronglifts.com/how-you-should-breathe-when-lifting-weights/ http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Valsalva's+maneuver In the first citation the breath was held for the entire set. The second citation argues against everything that...
by Victoria Maddison
Fri May 07, 2010 11:44 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Looking for help: Gaining muscle mass with calisthenics
Replies: 18
Views: 4302

Re: Looking for help: Gaining muscle mass with calisthenics

Personally, I think the program is good - thoughts? How many pounds have you gained in the 6 months since starting this thread? I know, I'm supposed to breathe in when going up and breathe out when going down, but in general I have a tendency to just hold my breath in.. which is obviously not good ...
by Victoria Maddison
Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 am UTC
Forum: Fit Club
Topic: Freshness
Replies: 17
Views: 4545

Re: Freshness

A high protein breakfast would elicit a glucagon response raising blood glucose. And since the OP is unlikely to be all that glycogen depleted given his love of sweet things like fruit, I'm not entirely convinced that low blood sugar was his problem. Anecdotally I haven't noticed any tiredness from ...

Go to advanced search