Search found 82 matches

by SerialTroll
Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1775: "Things You Learn"
Replies: 47
Views: 12511

Re: 1775: Things You Learn

Thanks for this comic. Seeing it just added a "TO DO" for me... talk about abusive relationships with my 12-year-old daughter (and probably son too now that I think about it). I grabbed this for talking points: http://www.ywca.org/atf/cf/%7BC783A7F4-5C12-4A12-ACCF-0C665D3DA10C%7D/Red%20Fla...
by SerialTroll
Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:11 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1773: "Negativity"
Replies: 25
Views: 7564

Re: 1773: "Negativity"

Better alt: "Crab Grass"
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:19 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 99511

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

I will be voting for Hillary. I really don't like that she is the Democratic candidate, but sadly she is the best option of the Big Two or Little Two candidates. Having said that, it is interesting to read Randall say: "Clinton has done nothing of the sort, and when questioned seems baffled tha...
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:13 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 99511

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

Tallest Skil wrote:
SerialTroll wrote:Uh on, Trump supporter is about to cry. Please, someone, hand slinches a hanky.


At least your username is fitting. How much were you paid? After all, we know she has paid people to shill for her.


I fart in your general direction.
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:06 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 99511

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

yawningdog wrote:Very disappointed that Randall would offer campaign support to an unindicted felon.


I think you must be using words that you don't know the meaning of...
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:17 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 99511

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

the guy who bragged about sexually assaulting women, ran his business into the ground and had to declare bankruptcy six times, hires illegal immigrants then turns around and calls Mexican people "rapists", thinks we should build a wall even though it's been proven that our increased borde...
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 99511

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

For those outside the US who have no idea what to make of this, (1) be very, very thankful, and (2) as far as I can tell, Randall is straight-up endorsing Hillary Clinton for President. As in, there's not really any joke here to "get". (Well, there are various obvious jokes one could make...
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1756: "I'm With Her"
Replies: 446
Views: 99511

Re: 1756: "I'm With Her"

slinches wrote:I wonder how much Randall got paid for this ad?


Uh on, Trump supporter is about to cry. Please, someone, hand slinches a hanky.
by SerialTroll
Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1716: "Time Travel Thesis"
Replies: 119
Views: 21205

Re: 1716: "Time Travel Thesis"

If my future self turned up to intervene whilst I was stumbling through my thesis on time-travel, would that be enough proof that I was right? It should be, although it is more probable that you have an identical twin. Back to the comic itself: the mansplaining should have been enough info to see t...
by SerialTroll
Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1686: "Feel Old"
Replies: 42
Views: 9382

Re: 1686: "Feel Old"

What? 9-11-2001, if you were born on that day you will be 15 years old... Maybe Randall is gearing up for the 2020 elections?

--

Edit: Misread the text entirely "remember" vs "alive".... need more sleep I guess.
by SerialTroll
Thu May 23, 2013 1:41 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Mother of All Puzzles
Replies: 129
Views: 95921

Re: Mother of All Puzzles

I'm now on 31. I translated the numbers, cross referencing the referenced text (trying to be obscure to avoid giving clues) but nothing. I'll give this one a couple more days.

I have to say that the last few puzzles have been enjoyable.
by SerialTroll
Tue May 21, 2013 1:12 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Mother of All Puzzles
Replies: 129
Views: 95921

Re: Mother of All Puzzles

On level 25: The name of the image should give you an idea of how you figure out the url. I got stuck on it too, but for the opposite reason - I figured out the image name clue but didn't notice the difference between the boards. At level 26 you're on your own, I gave up :P Also, as one final hint ...
by SerialTroll
Mon May 20, 2013 7:27 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Mother of All Puzzles
Replies: 129
Views: 95921

Re: Mother of All Puzzles

Levels 22-24 were incredibly easy. I am on 25 and see the difference between the two boards but am stumped on how to translate that into the URL. I'll give it a couple days before I ask for a hint. Frustrated though as I've tried everything I can think of. A night's sleep might help...
by SerialTroll
Mon May 20, 2013 1:46 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Mother of All Puzzles
Replies: 129
Views: 95921

Re: Mother of All Puzzles

Wow, I would have never gotten that in a million years. Thanks for the pointer. I just grabbed an online most common 50,000 words in Portuguese with no luck. I am hoping that the five letters listed are still NOT allowed to be in the word. When I get home tonight, I will grab a more complete dictio...
by SerialTroll
Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 am UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Mother of All Puzzles
Replies: 129
Views: 95921

Re: Mother of All Puzzles

Having just figured out level six, let me assure you that it is complete bullshit. hint (different from all the other not-helpful hints in this thread): The answer is entirely reliant on google. Try to find it searching with absolutely all the information you have. From level one: You may need to a...
by SerialTroll
Sun May 19, 2013 2:25 am UTC
Forum: Fictional Science
Topic: Invincible by science?
Replies: 34
Views: 11565

Re: Invincible by science?

Actually, in the book "I have no mouth and I must scream", AM faces this very dilemma and solves it quite nicely. For those who haven't read this short story, please do, it is quite a thought provoking dystopian story. For those who don't want to read. Basically a super-intelligent, near o...
by SerialTroll
Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 pm UTC
Forum: Logic Puzzles
Topic: Mother of All Puzzles
Replies: 129
Views: 95921

Re: Mother of All Puzzles

Level 20: I'm stuck, I've gotten this far:

Spoiler:
Solved crossword. Got back to the "zebra" hangman game, but zebra isn't the answer. Saw the genus name. Tried 4.htm as that is the puzzle I would go to and I get "no but close"
by SerialTroll
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 107481
Views: 53256705

Re: 1190: "Time"

Wait. I just realized the guy is on the other side of the castle than the girl. Clearly Randall is signalling to us that he is gassy and his wife doesn't want to be in the same room as him.
by SerialTroll
Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1190: "Time"
Replies: 107481
Views: 53256705

Re: 1190: "Time"

What is it with folks who read so much into each comic and assume that every tilt of a stick figure's head means Randall is dying or the world is about to be destroyed by a rogue planet passing through our solar system. I swear this is at least the fifth time that the XKCD series is coming to an end...
by SerialTroll
Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:00 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1152: "Communion"
Replies: 124
Views: 24720

Re: 1152: "Communion"

I realize this comic and most of the comments are total flamebait, but here is a correction to the above anyway. First of all, there's no such thing as "Christian." That term was invented in the late 1960s by some USA conservatives who wanted to get the Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, A...
by SerialTroll
Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0936: "Password Strength"
Replies: 893
Views: 321140

Re: 0936: "Password Strength"

Perhaps this has already been discussed upthread (I'm not reading through nearly 700 posts), but my not-computer-programming-literate mind is wondering, if the problem is with super powerful computers guessing your password, why can't the password validation process have a built-in delay? Whenever ...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:47 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

No, you're again, just operating under a set of assumptions I disagree with. The universe is finite. The resources of the universe are also finite. Humanity becoming immortal and therefor draining the universe of it's resources or space is a HUGE leap to be making, considering you're assuming man w...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Do those two statements accurately reflect your position? Yes. Good. So, I think we have a fundamental disagreement on aspect #2, and I am not sure we will resolve it. I view the universe as having a finite number of resources and any exponential curve will eventually butt up against the limits of ...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

immortal humans, or at least humans that can live forever provided their brain doesn't get irreprably damaged by trauma or disease The difference between these is pretty staggering, and shouldn't be glossed over with a mere "or at least". If the mortality effects of aging were completely ...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

1) There isn't infinite space. Even if you invent space travel at a reasonable % of light, you will end up with a situation where your home base (Earth and planets nearby where "nearby" keeps growing) will grow older and older and a frontier will be populated by relatively younger folks. ...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

A stagnant society isn't the same as a society that doesn't suffer from old age; presumably, people will still have children, and those children will want to forge their own independence, and since we're making hand wavy assumptions about the world at this point anyway, why not assume there's plent...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Trolling can be a noble pursuit. Not on the xkcd forums, it can't. Sure it can. It might be frowned upon or even disallowed. But it don't change the intent. Provocative statements can either be an immature person looking for attention or an attempt to change a mindset. this ties in nicely to my ori...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Izawwlgood wrote:
SerialTroll wrote:If we ever stop the cycle of death and birth, we doom mankind.

Heh, again, with these unsubstantiated claims.


Okay, so you pull off the last sentence of my long posts and then claim they are unsubstantiated? Did you bother to read the rest of the post?
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

A stagnant society isn't the same as a society that doesn't suffer from old age; presumably, people will still have children, and those children will want to forge their own independence, and since we're making hand wavy assumptions about the world at this point anyway, why not assume there's plent...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Regardless of trolling or not I think he does have a point on the immortality stagnating Morales. Like currently speaking for gay's rights in America they honestly only have to wait until all the baby boomer generation homophobes die off. Since the older people have a majority of anti-gay rights wh...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Not dying of old age isn't the same as 'never dying'. And even if we have technology to, say, upload someone's entire consciousness the moment before impact into a sexy new body, that isn't going to make people LESS risk averse, it's going to make people MORE. And this 'innovation vs age' think is ...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Trolling can be a noble pursuit. Not on the xkcd forums, it can't. Sure it can. It might be frowned upon or even disallowed. But it don't change the intent. Provocative statements can either be an immature person looking for attention or an attempt to change a mindset. this ties in nicely to my ori...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:28 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

I'll assume SerialTroll is trolling, but immortality for humanity could potentially lead to stagnation. If humans were immortal in the sense they never died, EVER, that's all well and good, humanity could spread throughout space, but in a world where you can potentially live forever, but you still ...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Care to clarify or support that claim, like, at all? I'm glad you asked. There are a couple of reasons I have come to this concusion. I am not sure which is the most important component of the argument as either in isolation would be enough to spell the end of an advancing humanity. 1) Risk Aversio...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0022: "Cost of Pennies"
Replies: 101
Views: 29072

Re: What-If 0022: Cost of Pennies

The equation at the top is wrong - everything in the parenthesis should be the reciprocal of what he actually wrote. Oddly enough, he seems to have done the actual calculations using the correct equation, because if you just crunch the numbers he wrote as he wrote them, you do not get 140000 miles,...
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:02 pm UTC
Forum: Science
Topic: Immortality
Replies: 87
Views: 12199

Re: Immortality

Immortality for humans spells death for mankind.
by SerialTroll
Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm UTC
Forum: What If?
Topic: What-If 0022: "Cost of Pennies"
Replies: 101
Views: 29072

Re: What-If 0022: Cost of Pennies

I believe Randall is using "calorie" where he should be using "Calorie". The capital "c" makes a difference of a factor of 1,000. I haven't fully read through the what-if to figure out if he is internally consistent or not. If he is, then he'd only need to fix the "...
by SerialTroll
Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 1133: "Up Goer Five"
Replies: 228
Views: 94070

Re: 1133: "Up Goer Five"

>I am an person who draws things so that people can make the things that other people can use. I am a Design Engineer. I give people books for money. http://splasho.nfshost.com/upgoer5/ is kinda fun. I work for paid-people-group that makes angry-wet-air-powered thinking-very-small-rock things that ...
by SerialTroll
Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:18 am UTC
Forum: Individual XKCD Comic Threads
Topic: 0231: "Cat Proximity"
Replies: 180
Views: 47552

Re: Re:

Parents say this sort of thing because they think society expects them to like taking care of their children, and because they think they would be absolute monsters for thinking taking care of their children is awful. And then they tell researchers that every aspect of their lives was made worse wi...

Go to advanced search